MISSION: The Texas Education Agency (TEA) will improve outcomes for all public-school students in the state by providing leadership, guidance, and support to school systems.
POSITION OVERVIEW: The Texas Education Agency is hiring for a Psychometrician. The psychometrician serves as a key member of the State Assessment Data and Psychometrics team in the Performance Reporting Division. This position is critical to the ongoing support of student assessments and accountability for the state of Texas. The job role involves responding to written and verbal inquiries from internal TEA divisions, educators, parents, and the public. This work is critical to improving outcomes for students by providing accurate performance data to students and school districts. With guidance from a senior psychometrician, this position assists in the quality control and interacts with contractors concerning the complex psychometric and statistical aspects of the statewide testing program (e.g., scaling, equating, and scoring). More specifically, the psychometrician performs functions that assists in the new item data and test form construction review, reviewing and verifying technical documentation, providing ad hoc statistical analyses, designing, and implementing research projects, oversight, and validation of sampling plans for projects conducted by TEA and test contractor. The responsibilities also involve writing, revising, and implementing complex personal computer and SAS software application programs to acquire, analyze, and manage data related to assigned projects. The psychometrician works under limited supervision, with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Please note that a resume is a required attachments for applying to this position. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Additionally, applicants who are strongly being considered for employment must submit to a national criminal history background check.
Flexible work location within the state of Texas may be considered for qualified candidates.
- Development of Testing: Participates in activities related to the standard setting, field testing, pilot testing, scaling, calibration, and equating of student performance data for the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR), STAAR Alternate2, the Texas English Language Proficiency Assessment System (TELPAS) and TELPAS Alternate.
- Psychometric Analysis: Performs collaborative psychometric/statistical work related to the psychometric component of the Texas assessment program.
- Special Projects and Studies: Participates in special projects performed by or on behalf of the psychometric component of the Texas assessment program.
- Psychometric Consultation: Provides advanced psychometric and statistical consultation to the TEA staff. Responds to written and verbal inquiries from internal TEA divisions, educators, parents, the public
Education: Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university. An advanced degree in educational measurement, psychometrics, statistics, or other closely related quantitative field is preferred.
Experience: At least four (4) years of experience in the utilization of psychometric methods, statistical procedures, and their applications in testing programs.
Substitutions: An advanced degree may substitute for two years of required experience.
- Share the belief that all Texas students can achieve at high levels and are able to succeed in college, career, or the military.
- Knowledge of quantitative data analysis and psychometric statistical expertise required including understanding of classical test theory, item response theory.
- Knowledge of large-assessment programs for Texas public schools and the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) is preferred.
- Skilled in programming with SAS and UNIX is required along with the ability to develop and/or revise programming code; assuring the accuracy and quality of work produced by others; gathering requirements, testing, and implementing programs while troubleshooting issues with limited documentation
- Experience with statistical analysis and psychometric software such as SAS, SPSS syntax and IRT software such as BILOG, LOGIST, WINSTEPS, and/or PARSCALE.
- Experience designing and conducting statistical and psychometric analyses in support of testing programs such as item calibration, linking and equating, item analysis, differential item functioning, factor analysis, reliability, and validity analysis.
- Excellent communication skills including listening, speaking, and writing; coordinating and solving problems; and outstanding interpersonal skills is required. Highly effective in breaking down complex information into comprehensive parts for non-technical audiences.
- Ability to develop standardized procedures and related documentation and ensure compliance with these procedures.
- Plan, develop, implement, evaluate, and prioritize a variety of projects while multi-tasking; analyze systems and procedures along with writing, revising, and documenting standards and procedures for use by others; work well as a member of a team as well as independently; complete tasks with tight deadlines without sacrificing quality.
- High intellectual ceiling with the ability to solve new and dynamic operating problems.
- Meticulous attention to detail with an ability to produce high quality work in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to works under minimal supervision, with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- A desire to self-reflect, give/receive feedback and continuously improve.
- Ability to engage in a collaborative, results-oriented team environment.