Position Description: Exceptional Student Services Behavioral CounselorClassification:
Exempt Employment Terms:
190 Work days. Salary determined by current Certified Compensation Plan. (Placement will based on experience and education) Board-approved Benefits Package.Reports To:
Director of Exceptional Student ServicesGENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the direction of the Director of Exceptional Student Service, the Behavioral Counselor provides mental health services to district students referred for assessment and assistance with the goal of facilitating and promoting appropriate behavioral health and personal growth. The Counselor identifies the behavioral and mental health needs of students and develops therapy goals and objectives for implementation through an individual therapy plan.PRINCIPAL DUTIES:
Any one position may not include all of the listed duties, nor do all of the listed examples include all tasks that may be found in positions within this classification.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Provides services with children and adult students through individual, group, and family therapy services
- Completes required documentation for students including records, reports, and case histories
- Develops and maintains behavioral health programs including therapy goals to meet student needs
- Conducts interviews, assessments, and observations
- Participates in special assessments, individual therapy plans, and other meetings
- Refers students to other public/private community agencies
- Directs and provides oversight of mental health therapy services provided by other staff members
- Makes recommendations to the District for mental therapy services
- Performs related duties as required
Any combination of education, training, and experience which demonstrates ability to perform the duties and responsibilities as described, including experience working with groups of children.
- Knowledge of therapy methods appropriate to meeting the needs of students and their families; agencies and resources available to assist children; federal and state laws concerning family rights and behavioral and mental health services.
- Knowledge of general safety rules and techniques.
- Knowledge of district rules of conduct
- Skill in identifying the behavioral and mental health needs of students
- Skill in working as part of a multidisciplinary educational support team, develop
- Skill in implementing appropriate behavioral and mental health services
- Skill in assisting students with other physical, emotional, social and academic limitations/needs.
- Skill in monitoring and correcting student behavior.
- Skill in communicating orally and in writing.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to work independently
- Other duties as assigned
Able to perform the following physical requirements of the position with or without reasonable accommodation: critical sensory requirements include general vision, corrected to 20/20, hear or listen in the normal range (corrected) and speak and give directions clearly. Able to walk, sit, stand, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, lift (exerting force up to 50 pounds). MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, REQUIRED LICENSE/CERTIFICATION:
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
- Arizona Professional Counseling Licensure and/or Clinical Social Work Licensure by Arizona Board of Behavioral Health Examiners (Required)
- Preferred Three years of School-Based Counseling Experience
- Valid First Aid/CPR card(s)
- Possess a valid Arizona Driver's License (if required)
The Maricopa Unified School District #20 does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, or disability in admission or access to, or treatment and employment in its educational programs or activities. The MaricopaUnifiedSchool District #20 is an equal opportunity employer in compliance with Title IX of The Education Amendments of 1972, and Sec. 504 of the Rehabilitation act of 1973.
Job Categories: Special Education > Behavior Specialist / EBD
Student Services > School/Guidance Counselor Contact Information
- Thomas Beckett
- 44150 West Maricopa/Casa Grande Highway
- Maricopa, Arizona 85138