Manager, District Support
ABOUT GOOD REASON HOUSTON
Good Reason Houston champions a bold and optimistic vision for the City of Houston – that every child, in every neighborhood, excels in a world-class public school and thrives in the Houston of tomorrow. The organization partners with school districts, community leaders, families, and educators to achieve its mission of increasing the number of students learning in a high-performing school. To grow more great schools in every neighborhood in Houston, the organization focuses on four key strategic levers: Driving System Innovation, Developing Game-changing Educators, Advancing Equitable Access, and Engaging the Community.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Good Reason Houston works to expand high quality choices for students and families, and helps high-needs schools get better quickly. One strategy to achieve that is through school turnaround actions. The purpose of turnaround actions is to rapidly alter the learning trajectories for students and enable them to reach their full potential. We believe that, when done well, school turnaround is a key lever to creating more equitable school environments: schools where students are heard, and parents and community members are valued decision makers with a seat at the table. To do this work with excellence, we’ll need to develop individualized, responsive and collaborative plans for our school partners and work on solutions that honor our organizational commitment to equitable access. These support plans need to be driven by rigorous data analysis and support decisive action to meet the needs of students in classrooms right now, and ensure ongoing improvement for students yet to come. Our intent is to move with urgency, while keeping a focus on sustainable change for campuses.
The Manager, District Support will work on a team to build plans, create and execute needs assessments that identify key levers, and tailor and target support for schools. Once the cohesive, integrated plans are created, this person will identify strategic partners, manage implementation and monitor progress to ensure impact. In addition, this person will use data analysis and visualization to frame decision-making, inform action, and empower partner districts to take thoughtful and urgent, bold action. Our ideal candidate is an excellent project planner and manager, a thoughtful relationship builder, and a clear and compelling communicator.
While this job description represents our best and most current thinking about team and district needs, there are still a lot of unknowns as we move into the 2020-2021 school year therefore this role may evolve.
- Support the development of Good Reason Houston’s turnaround support strategy for school district partners by:
- Researching best practices, identifying possible partners and developing recommendations to support school districts and other partners
- Creating, executing and analyzing needs assessments to identify key opportunities
- Engage in continuous data reflection cycles
2. Provide project management support and technical assistance to school turnaround efforts:
- Ensure there is a clear project plan and data systems to track inputs, outputs, and outcomes for each partner
- Manage data tracking and progress monitoring systems to ensure line of sight into overall health of partnerships
- Communicate regularly with partners, including coordinating across partners, leading check ins and contributing to partner reviews
3. Assist in the vetting of key partners to steward the implementation of Good Reason Houston’s turnaround strategy, including scoping the relationship, designing and negotiating contracts, and creating expansion plans
- Create tiered support plans for partner districts and schools ensure the successful planning and implementation of the Accelerating Campus Excellence (ACE) and/or Good Reason Houston’s turnaround Strategy that are inclusive of best practices and cutting edge strategies to ensure rapid improvement of student outcomes
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with key stakeholders and decision makers within the portfolio to ensure alignment, implementation and overall health:
- Provide whatever on-the-ground technical expertise and strategic problem solving is necessary, including but not limited to re: scoping work and partners to meet campus/district needs
- Ensure fidelity of implementation and consistently hold a high bar for execution
3. Communicate progress clearly and humbly with all district staff, as appropriate
- Synthesize large data sets quickly and accurately
- Prepare and present coherent analysis to appropriate district partners
- Build capacity, if needed, in district partners to lead data analysis
- Commitment to the mission, vision, goals and strategy of Good Reason Houston, including passion for and readiness to engage in critical work around diversity, equity and inclusion, both at the organization and in the broader Houston community.
- While highly preferred, previous teaching or instructional experience is not required.
- A proven track record of success developing and maintaining strong and impactful relationships with and among a diverse group of stakeholders, as evidenced by:
- An ability to evaluate and respond to diverse partner needs
- Experience supporting complex change management efforts
- Adept at adapting communication style
- Excellent organizational skills, with a demonstrated commitment to meeting a high bar and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles, ambiguity and rapidly evolving context
- A data and research orientation – including a curiosity and urgency around data collection and analysis, and its ability to inform decision making
- Proficiency in Excel and Powerpoint required
- Experience managing multiple projects simultaneously and the ability to manage teammates and stakeholders on short-term projects
- Ability to navigate and use good judgment when designing project plans and possible solutions with multiple inputs; including the ability to surface interdependencies and natural overlap
- Ex: when drafting a support plan around school turnaround, this person will need to incorporate the district priorities, the existing campus plans, TEA requirements and Good Reason Houston recommendations to create something cohesive, aligned, and with limited redundancies