The Non-CDL School Bus/Van Driver transports students to/from individual campuses over scheduled routes utilizing either a school bus which does not mandate a Commercial Driver's License or a VDPE legal student passenger van. Driver will ensure that vehicle is in safe operating condition and ensures the safety of students during transport, loading and unloading from the assigned school bus or passenger van.
This job reports to Transportation Supervisor. Qualifications:
- Education: High School diploma or equivalent.
- Experience: Job related experience is desired. Good work history and non-negative points on driving record are required. Must be at least 21 years of age to meet insurance requirements.
- Certificates and Licenses: Obtain and maintain a valid Class "C" Driver's License with Passenger and School Bus Endorsement (training available from ACPS). Complete a VDOE required school bus driver training program consisting of classroom instruction, driver training, and driver review (with students present)
- Transports passengers over scheduled routes to and from school and/or field trip excursions in a safe and timely manner. May or may not have a Bus Monitor assigned to assist with students requiring specialized transportation services.
- Performs pre-trip and post-trip inspections including a visual safety/security inspection of the entire vehicle, conduct of a daily brake test, conduct an examination of each tire/wheel assembly, and positioning of each mirror to ensure the safe operating condition of the vehicle and conduct daily cleaning of the interior compartment surfaces to comply with mandated guidelines. Will be required to assist with snow removal on/around buses to ensure vehicle departure to meet established schedules.
- Monitors conduct and actions of students and other passengers during transit and advises them of appropriate behavior that reinforces operational regulations and is necessary to maintain passenger safety.
- Assists students and other passengers in safe loading and unloading from bus/van during both emergency situations and in preparation for normal transport. May be required to assist children with disabilities on and off the bus/van. May be required to secure students within assigned child protective devices (e.g. car seats, wheelchairs, restraints, etc.) to ensure their safety during transport.
- Assesses incidents, complaints, accidents and/or potential emergency situations (e.g. road hazards, medical emergencies, accidents, etc.) and resolves and/or recommends a resolution to the situation.
- Conducts emergency evacuation drills to ensure efficiency of procedures and comply with mandated requirements.
- Reports observations and/or incidents (e.g. bullying, inappropriate social behavior, safety infractions, etc.) to appropriate personnel.
- Responds to inquiries (e.g. students, parents, other school personnel, etc.) to provide information and/or direction and to assist in investigations of alleged misconduct.
- Attends meetings, classroom and behind the wheel training, safety meetings, in service, administrative conferences, etc. to maintain skills and meet the stated requirements of a school bus driver.
- Prepares documents and reports (e.g. monthly manifest attendance record, incident/accident reports, inspections records, passenger misconduct reports, mileage logs, student counts, route description updates, maintenance orders, dispatch logs, etc.).
- Required to ensure that Kindergarten and specified students are only released to Authorized Receivers listed on the run Manifest whenever a parent is not present to receive these students.
- Cleans assigned vehicles, both interior compartments and windows and will be required to clean exterior surfaces such as windows, headlights, and mirrors to ensure safety, appearance, and sanitation of vehicle.
- May be required to lift student equipment (e.g. wheelchairs, car seats, restraints, seat belts, etc.) into position or reposition students as appropriate.
- Assists other personnel as may be required to ensure an efficient and effective work environment.
Transportation Salary Range:
$16.42 - $16.42 / Per Hour Shift Type: