Position at IDEA Public Schools
About IDEA Public Schools :
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that all our students graduate from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 50% of our students graduate from college in 6 years - that's 8 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA's co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve nearly 53 ,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. By 2022, IDEA will serve 100,000 students. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you-with continued growth in our current regions an d new launches in Houston (2020), Permian Basin (202 0 ), and Tampa Bay (2021)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this video
Jacksonville is a large city in northeastern Florida, where the St. John's River meets the Atlantic Ocean. The Jacksonville metropolitan area has a population of more than 1.5 million and is the fourth largest city in Florida. The region offers locals a laid-back lifestyle, with swimming and surfing at nearby barrier island beaches, camping and hiking in state recreation areas, and opportunities to attend professional sporting events such as the Jaguars NFL games or the PGA Players Championship in nearby Ponte Vedra.
According to U.S. News & World Report, the cost of living is slightly lower than the national average with rent at $1,019 per month and home rates at $174,658. Role Mission
The mission of the Science Curriculum Manager is to manage the science curriculum at IDEA Public Schools Florida. Working in a high-performing, rapidly expanding, and geographically dispersed charter network, the science Curriculum Manager will review instructional materials, implement the instructional materials adoption process, create the curriculum, and manage the implementation of a comprehensive, user-friendly, research-based and aligned curriculum. Additionally, the science Curriculum Manager will implement a teacher support system to drive teacher effectiveness and student results.Accountabilities:
YEAR 0 (2020 - 2021) Lead the adoption process for all instructional materials for all science courses
Create a suite of curriculum products, including a year-long plan, unit plans and instructional resources for launching grade levels in Florida schools so that the district achieves established student achievement goals.
- Review approved instructional materials and curricula to evaluate alignment to Florida standards and IDEA's mission to prepare students for rigorous AP coursework
- Follow the instructional materials adoption process to evaluate materials, gather stakeholder feedback, and choose materials for all science courses
Design, develop and deliver reliable and aligned assessments by posted bundle drop deadlines.
- Design and post curriculum materials so that 95% of materials are posted according to curriculum "drop" dates (typically 5 weeks ahead of tier one classroom instruction)
- Align the curriculum to NGSSS, providing clear articulation between the program and required Florida assessment content and structure
Design and facilitate the delivery of New Teacher Institute Sessions to increase student achievement in novice teacher classrooms in 2021-2022.
- Create, refine, and edit assessments so that they are completed and administered with less than 3 errors.
- Design, create, and deliver high-quality and aligned assessments that are posted and visible by the bundle drop deadlines
- Deliver assessment documents and support materials so they are reviewed with Student Performance & Advocacy Team before posted deadlines
- Review assessment data with national and regional teams to inform instruction
- Conduct weekly assessment data analyses to provide curricular and instructional direction for all teachers, campus leaders, and district leaders
- Work with cross-functional teams to create a robust teacher onboarding program during New Teacher Institute to increase new teacher effectiveness in the implementation of the district curriculum so that student achievement on Semester 1 Exam in new teachers' classrooms trends 5% higher than in previous years
- Design an effective training sequence so that 90% of participants rate New Teacher Institute a 4 or higher out of 5 on the training survey
YEAR 1 (2021 - 2022) includes #s 2, 3, & 4 from Year 0, plus - Manage, support, and coach Course Leaders to design and deliver district trainings to improve all teachers' instructional practices so that 90% of participants rate trainings a 4 or higher out of 5 on the training survey.
Design ongoing quality professional development sessions aimed at improving instructional practices and coach facilitators to deliver sessions so that 90% of participants rate sessions 4 or higher out of 5 on exit surveys.
- Recruit and develop Course Leaders for managed grade levels across the Florida region
- Coach Course Leaders on effective professional development planning and facilitation
- Evaluate Course Leader effectiveness using established criteria in order to make informed decisions regarding placement and role tenure
Observe teaching and coaching in the field for one day a week.
- Design district-wide program trainings to build awareness of science initiatives, state requirements, or other pertinent updates and best practices
- Lead quarterly Course Collaboration preparation sessions during Course Leader Institutes
- Facilitate Course Collaboration and other teacher/leader sessions when necessary.
8. Work on a distributed team where much of the work is completed remotely.
- Observe curriculum implementation in the field, to include high, medium and low performing schools.
- Travel to campuses on a rotating basis in order to evaluate curriculum implementation
- Work with campus managers to provide guidance on content-based coaching.
9. Live values of IDEA
- Attend and actively participate in weekly team meetings and monthly strategy meetings
- Provide feedback to colleagues and work collaboratively with other members of the science team, members of the larger Program Team, and across multi-functioning HQ teams
- Believes in and is committed to our mission: All students are capable of going to and through college
- Is driven by outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- Embodies IDEA's core values
- Mission Focus - Focuses on IDEA's core purpose of getting all students into college, with a particular focus on designing an academic program that achieves that goal
- Record of Results - Holds high expectations for self and others to achieve and surpass intended goals
- Problem Solving - Able to synthesize, analyze, and prioritize data and opportunities to develop strategies for achieving quantifiable goals, with a particular focus on student achievement data
- Communication - Effectively conveys information using a variety of channels and techniques
- Continuous Improvement - Proactively identifies opportunities to improve and consistently reflects on past actions to guide future decisions
Knowledge and Skills:
- Education: Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree or advanced degree preferred; Educator Certification
- A minimum of three years of science teaching experience
- A strong record of student achievement results as a teacher and/or administrator
- Experience designing assessments and curriculum products in science; system-wide experience preferred
- Ability to travel between IDEA regions as needed
- Extensive knowledge of the NGSSS & Florida standards required
- Demonstrated ability to design curriculum & assessments
- Extensive knowledge of best practices in science curriculum design
- Knowledge of effective, research-based instructional practices
Salaries for people entering this role typically start between $$69,700 and $85,100, commensurate with relevant qualifications and experience. This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on organizational and individual goal attainment.
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.