Holyoke Public Schools (HPS) serves 5,400 students in 12 schools and employs nearly 1,500 people. The District was placed into receivership by the State of Massachusetts in Spring 2015, due to struggling performance well below the state average. Dr. Stephen Zrike Jr., a seasoned Massachusetts educator, was selected as Receiver to lead this exciting turnaround effort, which includes significant autonomy and flexibility from the traditional school system. Since being in receivership, the District has experienced many promising successes, including an 8-point increase in graduation rates and 29-point decrease in the number of students who drop-out. HPS has also extended the school day for students in preschool to 8th grade, expanded choice programs such as dual language and personalized learning, and offering new opportunities to students, such as computer science and many other enrichment programs. For more information about the HPS Turnaround Plan, please visit: https://www.hps.holyoke.ma.us/turnaround/.Job description:
- Meet and instruct assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated.
- Plan a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of the students and employs a variety of instructional techniques and media.
- Create a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of students.
- Guide the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and - in harmony with the goals - establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, projects and the like to communicate these objectives to students.
- Strive to implement by instruction and action the district's philosophy of education, instructional goals, and objectives.
- Assess the accomplishments of students on a regular basis and provides progress reports as required.
- Maintain accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy, and administrative regulations.
- Make provision for being available to students and parents for education-related purposes outside the instructional day when required or requested.
- Plan and supervise purposeful assignments for teacher aide(s) and volunteer(s) and, cooperatively with department heads, evaluates their job performance.
- Strive to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Attend staff meetings and serves on staff committee as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Commitment to ensuring academic success for all students
- Experience working in an urban setting, preferred
- Experience working with diverse student populations, preferred
- Ability to read, interpret, and apply student performance data to instructional planning and execution
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; excellent teamwork skills
- Bilingual applicants (Spanish) strongly encouraged to apply
- Massachusetts Licensure in Music: Vocal/Instructional/General, All Levels; second licensure in ESL and Moderate Disabilities preferred.
- Position Type:Full-time
- Positions Available:1
Job Categories :Career Education > Music
Classroom Teacher > Music EducationEqual Opportunity Employer
Holyoke Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of a person's race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national Origin, ancestry, age, sex, genetic information, military or veteran status, gender identity or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Job RequirementsContact Information
- Kelly Curran , Administrative Secretary
- 57 Suffolk Street
- Holyoke,Massachusetts 01040
- Phone: 413-512-5336
- Email: click here