Music TeacherFLSA Status:
Exempt Job Summary
Position is responsible for instructing school students in the field of music and creating a safe and orderly learning environment. Position motivates students to develop an interest in and an appreciation of the art of music. Position develops knowledge, skills, and talents of students in the field of music, utilizing a variety of techniques appropriate to students' interests and abilities.Essential Duties
- Instructs students in developing knowledge and skills in accordance with the course of study adopted by the Board of Education.
- Enables students to develop an appreciation of the art of music.
- Demonstrates techniques to students in music concepts.
- Develops clear and concise instructional lesson plans and organizes class time to provide a balanced program of preparation, instruction, and rehearsal time.
- Provides individual and small group instruction and adapts the curriculum to the needs of students with varying abilities.
- Uses a variety of instructional techniques and musical repertoire appropriate for the ages and skill level of students.
- Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior and creates a safe, orderly, and effective environment for learning during practice, group rehearsals, and musical performances.
- Arranges opportunities for students to present musical performances both during and after school hours.
- Plans, rehearses, and directs students in musical programs for the school and community.
- Instructs students in the proper care and use of equipment.
- Organizes storage areas and controls the use of materials and equipment to prevent loss, abuse, injury, or security breech.
- Maintains an organized and workable inventory of all music and equipment related to the program.
- Evaluates student performance and growth in knowledge and understandings and prepares regular progress reports.
- Conferences regularly with parents/guardians regarding behavior observations and the performance of students.
- Identifies student needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in helping students solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
- Maintains thorough records for each student.
- Selects, requisitions, and maintains books, instructional materials, and instructional aids.
- Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.Other Duties
- Attends staff development programs, curriculum development meetings, and other professional activities.
- Keeps abreast of developments, research, and new technology in the field of music education.
- Performs any other related duties as assigned by the Principal or other appropriate administrator.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities, who are otherwise qualified, to perform the essential functions.Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
Must possess a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Music education or a related field and meet the Virginia Department of Education licensure eligibility requirements to teach music. Must possess effective instructional delivery techniques and excellent communication skills. Must possess an in-depth knowledge of music techniques and skills. Must possess the ability to instruct students in music. Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with school administrators, parents, and students. Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
Must have the ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to dial a telephone, to enter data into a computer; to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal classroom levels, outdoors and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in normal classrooms, outdoors, and on the telephone; physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds; and to bend, stoop, sit on the floor, climb stairs, walk and reach overhead.Work Environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Duties are normally performed in a school/classroom environment. Duties may be occasionally performed on field trips away from school. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Clearance
Criminal Justice Background check, Fingerprinting, TB AssessmentSupervision Exercised:
Dependent on grade level and subject; may include instructional assistants, volunteers, tutors.Supervision Received
- Position Type:Full-time
- Positions Available:1
Job Categories :Career Education > Music
Classroom Teacher > Music EducationJob RequirementsContact Information
- Jason Baldwin , HR
- 23296 Courthouse Ave.
- P.O. Box 330
- Accomac,Virginia 23301
- Phone: (757) 787-5754
- Email: click here