BENTON HARBOR AREA SCHOOLSJOB DESCRIPTIONJOB TITLE:
Fair Plain Middle SchoolSUPERVISOR:
Building PrincipalJOB SUMMARY:
Teaches band, choir, and other related band classes. Directs and manages the overall program of instrumental music for the district. Provides students with an opportunity to participate in extracurricular band activities and ensure compliance with all state, University Interscholastic League (UIL), and district requirements. Plan activities to achieve district, region, and state recognition.QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Valid Michigan teaching certificate or eligible to receive
- Knowledge of overall operation of instrumental music programs
- Minimum 3 years of teaching and band directing
- Proven ability to meet the challenges of an urban-rural, multi-racial, and multi-ethnic school district
JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- 3-5 Years of teaching and band directing
- Experience with working in urban and/or inner-city settings
- Culturally responsive to diverse needs
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:Commitment to Equity:
- Direct middle school instrumental performers, such as marching band, orchestra, concert band, soloists, and ensembles
- Establish performance requirements, enforce academic requirements, and verify each student's eligibility to participate in band.
- Provide for band participation at extracurricular events, including concerts, football games, pep rallies, and parades.
- Arrange transportation, lodging, and meals for out-of-town events.
- Oversee band booster club, and support band booster club activities
- Obtain and use evaluative findings (including student achievement data) to determine program effectiveness and ensure that program renewal is continuous and responds to student needs.
- Ensure that programs are cost-effective and funds are managed wisely.
- Compile budgets and cost estimates based on documented program needs
- Coordinate fundraising activities and manage funds.
- Maintain current inventory of all fixed assets within department.
- Oversee process of cleaning, repairing, and storing all band equipment
- Develop and implement plans for instrumental music program and show written evidence of preparation as required.
- Prepare lessons that reflect accommodations for individual student differences
- Plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of students assigned
- Conduct ongoing assessments of student achievement through formal and informal testing
- Create an environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
- Accompany and supervise students on out-of-town trips
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
Passionate about closing the achievement gap and ensuring that every child, regardless of background or circumstance, receives an excellent educationLeadership:
Coaches, mentors, and challenges others to excel despite obstacles and challenging situations.Focus on Data-Driven Results:
Relentlessly pursues the improvement of central office performance and school leadership, instruction, and operations, and is driven by a desire to produce quantifiable student achievement gains.Innovative Problem-Solving:
Approaches work with a sense of possibility and sees challenges as opportunities for creative problem solving; takes initiative to explore issues and find potential innovative solutions.Adaptability:
Excels in constantly changing environments and adapts flexibly in shifting projects or priorities to meet the needs of a dynamic transformation effort; comfortable with ambiguity and non-routine situations.Teamwork:
Increases the effectiveness of surrounding teams through collaboration, constant learning and supporting others; sensitive to diversity in all its forms; respects and is committed to learning from others.Communication and Customer Service Skills:
Communicates clearly and compellingly with diverse stakeholders in both oral and written forms; anticipates and responds to customer needs in a high-quality and courteous manner.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and depth perception.Terms of Employment:
Salary based on education and experience pursuant to the Benton Harbor Area School Board policies and collective bargaining agreement.Evaluation:
Performance of this job will be evaluated by the Building Administrator.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYERState and Federally funded positions are contingent upon funding availability and need
Job Categories :Career Education > Music
Classroom Teacher > Music Education
Classroom Teacher > Music: InstrumentalContact Information
- Human Resources
- 870 Colfax Ave
- Benton Harbor,Michigan 49022
- Phone: 269-605-1000
- Email: click here