District Fine ArtsJob Title:
Elementary Music TeacherFLSA Status:(Exempt/Non-exempt)
Exempt; Unit AReports to:
Principal & K-8 Fine Arts CoordinatorIn compliance with state and federal laws, newton public schools is committed to equity, anti-racism and a nondiscrimination policy for students, employees and prospective applicants. All educational and employment determinations are based on an individual's qualifications and achievements without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, pregnancy, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, ancestry, homelessness, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by state and/or federal statute.Summary:
This position provides an opportunity for a dynamic music educator with a diverse skill set to provide general music instruction in grades K-5. Elementary music teaching positions may have a vocal/choral music or instrumental music focus, depending on school assignment.Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree, Master's degree preferred
- Ability to handle multitude of varying and complex issues
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to use technology effectively
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities (Not Limited To):
- Excellent musicianship
- Experience and training in any or all methodologies desirable: Orff, Kodaly, Gordon, Conversational Solfege, First Steps in Music, others
- Proficient piano skills
- Broad knowledge of musical styles, composers, music history
- Willingness to promote and sustain a culture of music in and among the school community
Work Environment & Physical Requirements:
- Provide general music instruction in grades K-5
- Provide 3rd Grade recorder instruction
- For vocal/choral positions: Conduct 4th Grade Introductory Chorus and 5th Grade Chorus
- For instrumental positions: Provide/coordinate 4th Grade introductory band instrument lessons (clarinet, flute, alto saxophone, trombone, trumpet, percussion) and conduct 5th Grade Concert Band. Assignment may also include 4th Grade introductory string instrument lessons/5th Grade Orchestra
- Direct annual 5th Grade Musical (additional stipend available)
- Work in collaboration with building and citywide music teachers to maintain citywide music curriculum and assessment practices
- Consistent, reliable and punctual attendance is essential for supervision and instruction of the students
- Responsible for implementing "other job related duties" as needed.
- Majority of work is performed in a school/classroom environment. The noise level in the environment is usually moderate. Regular attendance is a necessary and essential function. Rarely absent or late unless the situation is of an emergency nature.
- While performing the duties of this job, the teacher is frequently required to walk, stand, sit, talk, and hear. The teacher is regularly required to bend, stoop, crouch and/or kneel. Must have sufficient mobility to navigate within a large school building. The Music Teacher will be required to set up chairs and risers for concerts.
- Regularly required to lift and/or move objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Categories :Career Education > Music
Classroom Teacher > Music EducationEqual Opportunity Employer
Newton Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.Contact Information
- Kendall Sorensen
- 100 Walnut Street
- Newton,Massachusetts 02460
- Phone: 617-559-6005
- Email: click here