Position:Long Term Substitute TeacherReports to:
PrincipalContract:As NeededSalary Scale:
9/2010, 1/2021PRIMARY FUNCTION:
Provide quality instruction that enables each child to pursue his/her education as smoothly and completely as possible in the absence of the regular teacher.ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENT:
Prior to becoming a substitute teacher with Harrisonburg City you must complete the Child Abuse and Neglect: Recognizing, Reporting and Responding for Educators. This on-line training module can be located at the following website:
Once complete please attach the certificate, received at the end of the training module, to your on-line application. QUALIFICATIONS:
- Long-term substitutes should have a valid Virginia teaching license. This minimum requirement does not apply to custodial substitutes.
- Must submit a recent (within twelve months) certificate signed by a licensed physician stating the absence of communicable tuberculosis.
- Pass a criminal review by the State Police Department and Virginia Department of Social Services/Child Protective Services background check.
- Emotionally mature, objective, and sensitive to people and their concerns.
- Able to handle responsibility, work independently, and maintain good working relationships with students, families and co-workers.
- Reports to the building administrator or school secretary upon arrival at the school building.
- Reviews all lesson plans and schedules to be followed prior to the students' arrival.
- Maintains the established routines and procedures of the designated school and classroom. (The substitute is expected to grade other written work not left in the lesson plans.)
- Teaches the lesson outlined and described by the absent teacher.
- Consults with the administration, team leader, or grade level teacher to get a clear understanding of the schedule and assignment.
- Assumes the responsibility for maintaining a positive classroom climate and demonstrates enthusiasm for the teaching/learning process.
- Practices and promotes positive interaction with and among students.
- Complies with and supports school division policies, regulations and procedures.
- Completes the Substitute Assessment Form and leaves it for the regular teacher.
Long term teacher substitute rate after 10 consecutive days is $129/day.PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Light work, lifting up to 25 pounds occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds frequently. Regular travel throughout the school and effectively interact with students, staff, and community members. Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; and subject to inside and outside environmental conditions. Regular contact with staff members is required. Not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.EVALUATION:
Performance will be evaluated in accordance with school board policy and administrative regulations on the evaluation of licensed personnel.
The above is intended to describe the essential functions of and requirements for the performance of this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities and requirements of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and meet the demands of this position.
- Position Type:Part-time
- Positions Available:1
Job Categories :Career Education > Music
Classroom Teacher > Music Education
Instructional Support > SubstituteEqual Opportunity Employer
Harrisonburg City Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.Job RequirementsContact Information
- Yeevonne Connolly
- One Court Square
- Harrisonburg ,Virginia 22801
- Phone: 540-434-9916
- Email: click here