General Music Teacher, JK-5
One Year Appointment
Visual & Performing Arts Department/Cambridgeport School
Cambridgeport School Community:
At the Cambridgeport School, we believe that learning unfolds when we provide conditions in which children can explore, inquire, and shape their own understandings. Cambridgeport teachers and families work as a community toward assuring success for every child. The school values the culture and beliefs that each child brings to the classroom, and teachers believe that children must engage with their world in order to make sense of it and build their knowledge. Each student is expected to take responsibility for his/her own learning, while collaborating, supporting, and respecting others.
Teachers provide learning experiences that guide and capture our student's interests while at the same time helping them to develop literacy and math skills, think critically, problem solve, and engage in rich scientific and historical inquiry.
Learning expeditions allow students to investigate a topic and produce work that has a specific purpose and an authentic audience. Examples might include exploring the life cycle and importance of butterflies or the role of fables within a culture or society.
The structure of looped classrooms supports the Cambridgeport philosophy. Beginning in 1st grade, teachers stay with their class through the end of 2nd Grade. Students have a new teacher for 3rd and 4th grade, and spend one year with their 5th grade teacher. The strong bonds that form between teacher and students support a deeper level of understanding, learning, and engagement.
Cambridgeport Elementary School, in partnership with the Visual and Performing Arts Department, seeks a confident, creative, social justice oriented, and compassionate music teacher to lead and enhance the vision for an already vibrant music program. The General Music and Chorus Teacher will teach grades JK-5, and report both to the Principal of the school and the Director of the Visual and Performing Arts Department (VPA).
- Teach music and choral classes to grades JK-5.
- Implement a rigorous and balanced standards-based music curriculum including knowledge of vocal development
- Ability to teach recorder, performance and chorus
- Employ pedagogical methods that motivate students to purse instrumental study
- Differentiate instruction to meet the needs of diverse learners
- Demonstrate flexibility and compassion, while maintaining high expectations for student achievement
- Demonstrate strong classroom management skills
- Employ instructional methods that motivate students to continue to pursue study in the music community
- Collaborate with school faculty to develop interdisciplinary curriculum and work with challenging students
- Organize and participate in school, district, state and community level music performances
- Contribute to departmental and school wide curriculum projects and other initiatives
- Steward the careful use of supplies, equipment, and teaching resources
Your Skill Set:
As the incoming Music Teacher, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- 2+ years' experience leading music instruction in an urban, multicultural setting in JK-5.
- Culturally responsive educator with a strong sense for social justice and equity.
- High degree of comfort working with colleagues to build and refine engaging, standards based learning experiences that are responsive to the needs and interests of the communities you serve.
- Collaborative disposition, eager to partner with classroom teachers, School and VPA staff, and other team members in the district on behalf of our students and families.
- Reflective practitioner with strong relationship-building skills.
- Excellent classroom management skills and use appropriate authentic assessment strategies to monitor student progress.
- Ability to differentiate instruction to meet the needs of diverse learners and adjust practice to meet the needs of all students.
- Strong organizational skills, setting up structures that allow you to manage your own work effectively and position colleagues for success.
- Kodaly training and experience required.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Massachusetts Licensure for Music required.
Cambridge Public Schools is committed to slowing and/or stopping the spread of COVID-19. Therefore, as a condition of employment with Cambridge Public Schools, all new hires will be required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 no later than their first day of work.
How to Join Our Team:
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills, experience, and commitment to equity in education meet the qualifications of the position as well as stating how you heard about this opportunity.
At the Cambridge Public Schools, we are committed to cultivating an environment where diverse perspectives and backgrounds are embraced, acknowledging that a team reflecting diversity of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, and veteran status allows us to serve our communities better. To that end, we welcome and encourage applicants to bring their authentic selves when considering employment opportunities within our school district.
- Position Type:Full-time
- Positions Available:1
Job Categories :Career Education > Music
Classroom Teacher > Music Education
Classroom Teacher > Music: ChorusEqual Opportunity Employer
Cambridge Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.Job RequirementsContact Information
- Cambridge Public Schools
- 159 Thorndike Street
- Cambridge,Massachusetts 02141