General Music & Chorus Teacher, JK-5
Visual & Performing Arts Department/Baldwin School
Cambridge Public Schools is hiring a full time General Music & Choral Teacher position for JK-5 at Baldwin Elementary School. This position is for a teacher with experience teaching high frequency, specifically with lower elementary.
Baldwin School Community:
At the Baldwin School, we value each child's individuality and aim to help every learner achieve personal excellence. We are dedicated to instruction the meets each individual student's needs with the goal of encouraging children to become lifelong learners who will excel in our global society.
The Discovering Justice curriculum is used to teach and reinforce the importance of social justice and individual responsibility in building a better society.
Baldwin Elementary School, in partnership with the Visual and Performing Arts Department, seeks a confident, creative, social-justice oriented, and compassionate music teacher to lead and enhance the vision for an already vibrant music program. The General Music and Chorus Teacher will teach grades JK-5 music classes and report both to the Principal of the school and the Director of the Visual and Performing Arts Department (VPA).
- Teach music and choral classes to grades JK-5 with preference for integrating a JK-2 Kodaly methodology
- Implement a rigorous and balanced standards-based music curriculum including knowledge of vocal development
- Implement Kodaly technique
- Ability to teach recorder, performance and chorus
- Employ pedagogical methods that motivate students to purse instrumental study
- Differentiate instruction to meet the needs of diverse learners
- Demonstrate flexibility and compassion, while maintaining high expectations for student achievement
- Demonstrate strong classroom management skills
- Employ instructional methods that motivate students to continue to pursue study in the music community
- Collaborate with school faculty to develop interdisciplinary curriculum and work with challenging students
- Organize and participate in school, district, state and community level music performances
- Contribute to departmental and school wide curriculum projects and other initiatives
- Steward the careful use of supplies, equipment, and teaching resources
Your Skill Set:
As the incoming Music Teacher, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- 2+ years' experience leading music instruction in an urban, multicultural setting in JK-5.
- Kodaly training and experience a plus.
- Culturally responsive educator with a strong sense for social justice and equity.
- High degree of comfort working with colleagues to build and refine engaging, standards based learning experiences that are responsive to the needs and interests of the communities you serve.
- Collaborative disposition, eager to partner with classroom teachers, School and VPA staff, and other team members in the district on behalf of our students and families.
- Reflective practitioner with strong relationship-building skills.
- Excellent classroom management skills and use appropriate authentic assessment strategies to monitor student progress.
- Ability to differentiate instruction to meet the needs of diverse learners and adjust practice to meet the needs of all students.
- Strong organizational skills, setting up structures that allow you to manage your own work effectively and position colleagues for success.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Massachusetts Licensure for Music required.
Cambridge Public Schools is committed to slowing and/or stopping the spread of COVID-19. Therefore, as a condition of employment with Cambridge Public Schools, all new hires will be required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 no later than their first day of work.
How to Join Our Team:
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills, experience, and commitment to equity in education meet the qualifications of the position as well as stating how you heard about this opportunity.
At the Cambridge Public Schools, we are committed to cultivating an environment where diverse perspectives and backgrounds are embraced, acknowledging that a team reflecting diversity of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, and veteran status allows us to serve our communities better. To that end, we welcome and encourage applicants to bring their authentic selves when considering employment opportunities within our school district.
- Position Type:Full-time
- Positions Available:1
Job Categories :Career Education > Music
Classroom Teacher > Music Education
Classroom Teacher > Music: ChorusEqual Opportunity Employer
Cambridge Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.Job RequirementsContact Information
- Cambridge Public Schools
- 159 Thorndike Street
- Cambridge,Massachusetts 02141