Announcement of a Vacancy
2022 Summer Music Camp
Summer Music Camp
Job Goal: Somerville Public Schools strives to create an inclusive and racially affirming environment that welcomes and values the diversity of our staff and students. We foster fairness, equity, and inclusion to create a workplace environment where everyone is treated with respect and dignity.
We welcome and value different perspectives and experiences in our staff, recognizing the powerful impact that a diverse workforce has on all students. We are committed to supporting educators through a strong induction and mentorship program, educator-driven professional development, and opportunities for professional growth and advancement.
As a district, we are also committed to supporting the whole child by promoting a trusting, mutually respectful and inspiring culture that values the individuality of our students and the professionalism of the field.
- Excellent musicianship and artistry as a teacher/performer
- Strong understanding of violin/viola pedagogy
- Strong commitment to El Sistema's philosophy of social change through music
- Experience working with children from diverse ethnic and economic backgrounds
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Self-motivated and willing to collaborate in a team-teaching environment
- At least 2 years of prior teaching experience preferred
- Bachelor's or equivalent degree in Violin or Viola Performance or Music Education
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred
- Develop and teach engaging group violin lessons that:
- Establish routines and encourage development of strong fundamental skills on the violin
- Incorporate a variety of strategies (movement, ear training, music reading, bowing/plucking) and activities (exercises, games, demonstration, listening, etc)
- Maintain excellent classroom management
- Adapt to the needs of students at various levels and with various learning styles
- Encourage peer teaching
- Maintaining a positive and nurturing classroom environment
- Setting and maintaining high standards for student behavior and music learning
- Enforcing program rules and policies
- Position Type:Not provided
- Positions Available:2
Job Categories :Career Education > Music
Classroom Teacher > Music Education
Classroom Teacher > Music: Instrumental
Seasonal/Other Opportunities > Summer Camps/ProgramsEmployer Description
Education - Inspiration - Excellence are the themes that characterize the instructional services, departments and programs of the Somerville Public Schools.
Our Mission: The Somerville Public Schools is dedicated to the realization of the full intellectual, physical, social, and emotional potential of all students. Our talented team of teachers and other professionals provides every student with the knowledge, skills and attitudes needed to be successful throughout their lives. This is accomplished through the delivery of innovative instruction guided by the Massachusetts Curriculum and Somerville Curriculum Frameworks, and supported through partnerships with organizations such as Primary Source, and the Center for Engineering Education and Outreach at Tufts University. Learn more about us...Job RequirementsContact Information
- Central HR
- 8 Bonair St.
- Somerville,Massachusetts 02145
- Phone: 617-625-6600
- Email: click here