Announcement of A Vacancy for the
2022 Summer Adventure Camp Specialist Position ELA interdisciplinary (Stories, Music, and Art...SmART Somerville Community Schools ProgramProgram Goal:
The Somerville Community Schools Program provides After School and Out of School Time Care in the Somerville Public Schools. We operate After School programs from dismissal until end of program including early release days; full day programs during school vacation weeks and during summer. It is our mission to provide high quality, affordable, Out of School Time Care to Somerville children in grades Pre-K through 8.Responsibilities:
The following outline is not all-inclusive but is meant to give a general sense of the position during the summer.Teaching:
- Lead small and large group activities in a specialized area (Program Specials include: STEM, ELA, Cultures, Environmental Science, The Arts, PE)
- Implement Community Schools Behavior Management Policy
- Maintain classroom environment including set up and maintenance of supplies Follow program procedures to safeguard the health and safety of the children Ability to cooperatively team teach
- Build positive relationship with families
- Other duties as assigned
- Research, plan and implement activity based curriculum to promote social, emotional, physical and cognitive development in accordance with Somerville Public School curriculum and summer program themes
- Purchase materials and supplies in accordance with the Community Schools procedures.
- Submit weekly themed units 2 weeks in advance to Administration
- Oversee all aspects of field trips including students and staff supervision as well as admissions and bus transportation
- Program check-in and dismissal as well as supervision of campers and staff during post program activities Facilitate participation of Lead and Assistant Teachers to during lessons Communicate regularly with Administration
- Attend mandatory summer program orientation in late June, weekly lunch time Wednesday meetings and trainings
Terms of Employment:
- Have a Bachelor's Degree in Child Development, Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, Child Guidance, Human Services, Nursing, Psychology, Physical Education,
- Recreation, Child Psychology, the Arts, Social Work, Sociology, or Child Care; and have 1 year of experience working with school-age children.
- Experience planning and implementing activity-based curriculum in the subject area to be taught
- Ability to set clear limits and supervise groups of school age children
- Administrative and organizational skills
- Good interpersonal skills and communication skills to collaborate with CS staff and Administration
- Ability to supervise and support assisting staff
- Sensitivity to and/or experience in working with children and adults from diverse cultural and economic backgrounds.
Summer Program Schedule:
- Seasonal/Yearly Employment
- $28 per hour worked / Up to 40 hours per week
Monday - Friday / 8:00am - 4:15pm
July 6, 2022 - August 12, 2022Reports to:
Summer Adventure Camp Program DirectorDisclosure:
Subject to funding availability and student enrollment; courses may be cancelled due to lack of enrollment. Application Process:
To submit your application for consideration, please visit us online at:
- Applications are only accepted online.
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Somerville Public Schools does not discriminate in its programs, facilities, or employment or educational opportunities on the basis of race, color, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, home status, marital/civil union status, sex/gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, citizenship status, place of birth, national origin, ancestry, cultural identity, genetics or military status, and does not tolerate any form of retaliation, or bias-based intimidation, threat or harassment that demeans individuals' dignity or interferes with their ability to learn or work.
- Position Type:Part-time
- Positions Available:1
Job Categories :Career Education > Music
Classroom Teacher > Art
Classroom Teacher > English & Language Arts
Classroom Teacher > Music Education
Seasonal/Other Opportunities > Summer Camps/ProgramsEmployer Description
Education - Inspiration - Excellence are the themes that characterize the instructional services, departments and programs of the Somerville Public Schools.
Our Mission: The Somerville Public Schools is dedicated to the realization of the full intellectual, physical, social, and emotional potential of all students. Our talented team of teachers and other professionals provides every student with the knowledge, skills and attitudes needed to be successful throughout their lives. This is accomplished through the delivery of innovative instruction guided by the Massachusetts Curriculum and Somerville Curriculum Frameworks, and supported through partnerships with organizations such as Primary Source, and the Center for Engineering Education and Outreach at Tufts University. Learn more about us...Job RequirementsContact Information
- Central HR
- 8 Bonair St.
- Somerville,Massachusetts 02145
- Phone: 617-625-6600
- Email: click here