Job Title: MechanicDepartment:
: Non-ExemptReports to:
Director III - TransportationGENERAL PURPOSE
Responsible for providing mechanic services with specific responsibility for identifying repair and/or replacement needs of buses, trailers, vans, bucket trucks, and police cars; performing repairs and preventive maintenance; ensuring completion of maintenance in accordance with trade standards; and providing information on the proper use of vehicles.ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Attend unit in-service and safety meetings in order to convey and/or gather information required to perform job functions.
- Diagnose vehicle malfunctions determining needed vehicle repairs and/or part replacements.
- Document various vehicle maintenance activities providing written reference and/or meeting mandated requirements.
- Inspect buses, vans, trucks, and heavy equipment ensuring that the vehicle is in a safe operating condition.
- Maintain tools, equipment, and/or shop area ensuring the availability of tools and equipment, and safety within the workspace.
- Maintain records of repairs, costs, and vehicle warranties recording required information and meeting regulatory requirements.
- Oversee other assigned maintenance support personnel ensuring completed assignments are within established guidelines.
- Perform routine vehicle maintenance program maintaining vehicles in a safe operating condition and meeting mandated requirements.
- Repair vehicle systems and components ensuring the availability of vehicles in safe operating condition.
- Respond to road calls regarding disabled vehicles performing emergency repair work in the field to minimize disruption of services.
- Clean assigned vehicles, both interior and exterior to maintain appearance, sanitation and safety of vehicle.
- Perform minor bodywork maintaining the appearance and safe operation of the vehicles.
- Perform other related duties as required/assigned.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of three (3) years of related experience required.
Certificates, Licenses and Other Special Requirements
- Class "B" CDL with passenger, air brake and school bus endorsements.
- ASE Certification preferred.
- Must pass a Criminal Background Check.
- Pre-Placement Physical Capacities Test
- Random Drug and Alcohol Testing
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of basic math, including calculations using fractions, percentages, and/or ratios, read a variety of manuals, write documents following prescribed formats, and/or present information to others; and analyze situations to define issues and draw conclusions.
- Knowledge to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include methods of maintaining vehicles; methods of storage and removal of hazardous materials; and safety practices and procedures.
- Skill to perform multiple, technical tasks with a need to routinely upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions.
- Skill based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job, including: adhering to safety practices; operating school buses and/or district vehicles; operating tools/equipment used in maintenance of vehicles; and preparing and maintaining accurate records.
- Ability to schedule a number of activities, meetings, and/or events; gather, collate, and/or classify data; and use job-related equipment.
- Ability to work with others under a wide variety of circumstances; working with data utilizing defined but different processes; and operate equipment using defined methods.
- Ability to work with a significant diversity of individuals and/or groups; work with data of widely varied types and/or purposes; and utilize job-related equipment.
- Ability to analyze issues and create action plans.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders communicating with diverse groups including school age riders; displaying tact and courtesy; exercising sound judgment; maintaining an understanding of the special needs of students and their parents; maintaining confidentiality; and working with interruptions.
- Ability to apply critical thinking/problem solving to improve work processes.
- Ability to work as part of a team; analyze situations and make accurate decisions; work on multiple projects; and deal with frequent interruptions and changing work priorities.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Work environment is indoors and outdoors with regular exposure to weather conditions; in proximity to the roadway; near moving mechanical parts and traffic; and in confined spaces.
- The work is very heavy work that requires exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Must possess the physical ability to perform the following: significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling, frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling and significant fine finger dexterity.
- Additionally, the following physical abilities are required: balancing, feeling, kneeling, lifting, mental acuity, pulling, pushing, reaching, standing, stooping, talking, visual acuity, and walking.
- Position Type:Full-time
- Positions Available:1
Job Categories :Career Education > Industrial Mechanics
Support Staff > MaintenanceJob RequirementsContact Information
- Ryan Morris , Employment Coordinator
- 1359 E. Saint Louis St.
- Springfield,Missouri 65802
- Phone: 417-523-4647
- Email: click here