HARRISONBURG CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
JOB DESCRIPTIONPosition:Music Teacher, Elementary Reports to:
Principal, ElementaryContract:200 Days Salary Scale:
Teacher Salary ScaleFLSA Status:
9/2010, 2/2021 POSITION SUMMARY:
Under the supervision of the Building Principal is responsible for teaching music education to pupils in grades K-6, and assists the staff of the school in the improvement and appreciation of music instruction.
Helps pupils grow in their enjoyment, appreciation, and performance of music through a variety of planned music experiences which include singing, moving to music, playing of instruments and listening and performs other duties directly related to this job description.QUALIFICATIONS:
- Possesses or qualify for a Virginia Collegiate Professional license with specific endorsement in the area to which assigned.
- Possesses outstanding knowledge and skill in the assigned instructional area and demonstrates enthusiasm for teaching and the learning process.
- Demonstrates knowledge of instructional strategies and skills related to scientifically-based research and its implementation.
- Proficiency in public speaking and written communication to express and/or exchange ideas.
- Emotionally mature, objective and sensitive to people and their concerns. Able to handle responsibility, work independently, and maintain collaborative working relationships with students, families, administration, staff, co-workers and community agencies.
- Experience working directly with individuals and families from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Experience working with diverse learning needs and with children that may benefit from alternative learning models is preferred.
- Familiarity with racial equity and inclusion frameworks.
- Models non-discriminatory practices in all activities. Respects the worth, dignity and individual differences of others.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Teaches skills in music understanding/appreciation, harmony, explorations in music and choral music to elementary pupils.
- Plans/executes a balanced music program and organizes class time so that preparation, rehearsal and instruction can be accomplished within the allotted time.
- Provides individual and small group instruction in order to adapt the music curriculum to the needs of each pupil. Encourages students to develop individual musical skills to the greatest extent possible.
- Utilizes repertoire of all types of music literature, including traditional and contemporary that are appropriate for the ages and skill levels of pupils.
- Maintains care/responsibility for school-owned music, musical instruments and equipment to prevent loss or abuse. Makes minor adjustments and requests repairs to instruments as required.
- Evaluates each pupil's musical growth, performance, and musical understanding. Assesses each individual's contribution to the performance of the group.
- Displays enthusiasm for teaching.
- Utilizes strategies to meet class objectives, student needs and abilities.
- Effectively motivates students.
- Manages Instructional time wisely.
- Provides an appropriate learning environment.
- Models acceptable written and oral expressions
- Effectively communicates with students, parents and the community.
- Provides appropriate feedback to students.
- Uses measures of student learning to improve instruction.
- Models professional, moral and ethical standards and personal integrity.
- Participates in meaningful and continuous process of professional development.
- Works in a collegial and collaborative manner with peers, staff, parents and community resources to support the success of a diverse student population.
- Provides services to the professional, the school division and/or the community.
- Demonstrates good attendance and punctuality
- Submits required reports on time and meets other deadlines
- Maintains accurate records
- Follows proper channels of communication
- Appropriately maintains confidentiality
- Is familiar with and abides by School Board policies, regulations and school procedures
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Maintains appropriate state licensure; assumes responsibility for and participates in staff development (professional growth) and training to keep materials, supplies, and skills up-to-date.
- Follows appropriate safety procedures and properly maintains equipment.
- Attends all required meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Principal and/or Instructional Supervisor.
- Selects appropriate music, books and instructional aids to enhance learning and requisitions musical instruments and instructional supplies as necessary.
- Cooperation with Building Principal and staff in providing musical programs for school assemblies, open house, parent meetings and seasonal programs.
- Communicates with parents and school staff on individual student's progress.
Light work, lifting up to 25 pounds occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds frequently. Regular travel throughout the school and effectively interact with students, staff, and community members. Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; and subject to inside and outside environmental conditions. Regular contact with staff members is required. Not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.EVALUATION:
Performance will be evaluated in accordance with school board policy and administrative regulations on the evaluation of licensed personnel.
The above is intended to describe the essential functions of and requirements for the performance of this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities and requirements of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and meet the demands of this position.
- Position Type:Full-time
- Positions Available:1
Job Categories :Career Education > Music
Classroom Teacher > Music EducationEqual Opportunity Employer
Harrisonburg City Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.Job RequirementsContact Information
- Yeevonne Connolly
- One Court Square
- Harrisonburg ,Virginia 22801
- Phone: 540-434-9916
- Email: click here