To successfully maintain the School Board's fleet of school buses and other vehicles so as to have a positive impact on the educational programs of the county.Essential Duties
- Performs all vehicle maintenance required to keep the fleet in proper and safe working order. To include, but not be limited to, in depth work such as major engine/transmission overhauls, diagnostic evaluation (both manual and computerized), and regular vehicle inspections and preventive maintenance as outlined by the Shop Foreman.
- Record all work performed and parts used on the proper work order forms.
- Make routine and emergency service calls throughout the county to return vehicles to operating condition.
- Take proper care of and be accountable for all tools and equipment issued.
- Practice safe work habits while performing tasks in the Bus Shop and on the road. This includes keeping all work areas clean, neat and in and orderly working condition.
- Maintains a general understanding of bus routes, bus schedules and driver assignments to facilitate prompt service for those in need.
- Participates in all meetings and training activities required by the Transportation Department. This may include training in all areas of automotive repair to keep pace with technological changes in the maintenance of the School Board's fleet of vehicle.
- Performs such other duties and assumes such other responsibilities as the Shop Foreman and/or Supervisor of Transportation and/or Superintendent may assign.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities, who are otherwise qualified, to perform the essential functions.Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
Formal education and/or successful work experience required to fulfill the responsibilities of the position, including but not limited to diesel and gasoline engine repair. A valid Commercial Drivers License with the proper endorsements or the ability to obtain one within six months of employment. A valid Virginia State inspection license or the ability to obtain one within six months of employment is required.Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Must have the ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity, hear and understand speech at normal levels; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly; physical agility to lift and carry up to 100 pounds; to bend, stoop, climb stairs, walk and reach overhead. Work Environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment may range from the low to high.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The Skilled Trades - Transportation
will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the Shop Foreman, Supervisor of Transportation or appropriate administrator. Bedford County Public Schools reserves the right to update, revise or change this job description and related duties at any time.
- Position Type:Full-time
- Positions Available:2
Job Categories :Career Education > Industrial Mechanics
Support Staff > Maintenance
Support Staff > TransportationJob RequirementsContact Information
- Adam Hazelwood
- 310 S Bridge St
- Bedford,Virginia 245232706
- Phone: (540) 586-1045 x10247
- Email: click here