The Syracuse City School District is Building ourFuture by ensuring that all students have the opportunity to achieve at a highlevel. Teaching and learning are our core business and we know that educationis essential to improve future life opportunities for our students. We alsorecognize that strong leaders and teachers together have a profound impact onstudent achievement. With this in mind, we are seeking educators who are readyto partner with us and our community in ensuring a bright future for allstudents. The Syracuse City School District represents 34 schools and 4alternative education programs and serves over 21,000 students in grades PreK-12. 78% of SCSD students qualify forfree or reduced lunch price, and approximately 20% are served by the Office ofSpecial Education. 77% of the studentsin the school district are students of color.JOBDESCRIPTION:
The Welding Instructor will be responsible forteaching and training students according to the district's approvedcurriculum. The Welding Instructor willadminister both hands-on tests and written examinations fairly and willmaintain the safety of students. In addition, the instructor willconstructively advise students on their academic progress and keep up to datewith the students' paperwork and files. The Welding Instructor will also berequired to maintain current knowledge in their field by continuing to undergoprofessional development, they must continually re-evaluate their teachingmethods.REPORTS TO:
Principal and Director of Career andTechnical EducationDUTIES ANDRESPONSIBILITIES:
• Prepare and provide all lecture and laboratoryinstruction according to the approved curriculum.
• Observe and evaluate students' work to determineprogress, provide feedback and make suggestions for improvement.
• Supervise and monitor students' safe use oftools and equipment.
• Participate in conferences, seminars andtraining sessions to keep abreast of developments in the field and integraterelevant information into training programs.
• Provide individualized instruction.
• Develop curricula and plan course content andmethods of instruction in accordance to Career and Technical EducationStandards.
• Submit in writing current textbook, supply andequipment needs to the building principal.
• Monitor all equipment and supply inventory inlocked facilities.
• Secure consumable supplies as well aseducational materials from administrative office when needed.
• Model Career Readiness Standards in theclassroom and at the job sites.
• Communicate with building principal on allissues related to students.
• Attend all scheduled mandatory meetings.
• Other duties as assigned by the principal /director.
• Lead the Welding Program Advisory Committeemeetings and work with welding business partners to secure job shadow andinternship sites. KNOWLEDGE,EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
• Competent in all aspects of welding such asbasic math, literacy, metrics, basic metallurgy, heat treating and blueprintreading.
• Must have been certified as a multi process,multi material welder under American Welding Society Certification.
• A background in construction, manufacturing orfabrication is preferred as both components are part of the curriculum.
• Knowledge of automated welding process is aplus.
• Desire to work with 9 - 12 grades students.
• Excellent human-relations, interpersonal skills,and strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Teaching experience preferred.QUALIFICATIONS:
• Must be eligible for a New York StateTransitional Certificate. Click HEREto view the New York State Education Department website.
• Once offered, you will be required to declarethat all previous obligations with an employing school district have been metand you are not seeking this position with the intent of resigning from aprevious commitment in which you have not served.
• City Residents are encouraged to apply!SALARY/SALARYRANGE:
• The current starting salary for SCSD Teachers is$48,500. With proof of outside related experience and college transcripts, thesalary will be increased pursuant to the Unit 1 contractual agreement.
• Teachers who are assigned to work at schoolswith extended learning time will receive an additional stipend.
• Teachers will have opportunities to teach in ourSummer School Programs, receiving an hourly rate of $42.69.
• Teachers with experience and a deep backgroundin Urban Education may qualify for the District's Urban FellowshipProgram.
Job Category :Career Education > Welding & CuttingEqual Opportunity Employer
Syracuse City School District is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.Contact Information
- Bridget Kemp
- 725 Harrison Street
- Syracuse,New York 13210
- Phone: 315-435-4171
- Email: click here