ABOUT OUR DISTRICT:
The Syracuse City School District is Building our Future by ensuring that all students have the opportunity to achieve at a high level. Teaching and learning are our core business and we know that education is essential to improve future life opportunities for our students. We also recognize that strong leaders and teachers together have a profound impact on student achievement. With this in mind, we are seeking educators who are ready to partner with us and our community in ensuring a bright future for all students. The Syracuse City School District represents 34 schools and 4 alternative education programs and serves over 21,000 students in grades Pre K-12. 78% of SCSD students qualify for free or reduced lunch price, and approximately 20% are served by the Office of Special Education. 77% of the students in the school district are students of color. ABOUT THIS POSITION:
We are seeking a Career and Technical Education Teacher for the Public Service Leadership Academy in the field of Cosmetology. This position is full-time. We specifically seek candidates who have a record of demonstrated excellence as practitioners in this field. Field experts selected for this Career and Technical Education Teacher position will need to complete certain requirements to earn New York State teaching certification. We will guide each teacher in meeting the certification pathway requirement. Selected candidates will also receive support to learn instructional practices that will benefit their professional development in the classroom.WHO WE WANT:
Successful SCSD educators are passionately committed to urban education and all in for Syracuse students. They:
- Believe strongly that all students can learn at high levels;
- Demonstrate commitment to serving urban students, schools or communities, and to closing achievement gaps;
- Demonstrate willingness to put the interests of students above all others;
- Actively contribute to a culture of high expectations in their school and district;
- Adapt seamlessly to the complexities of the urban school environment; and
- Follow current trends in education policy and research, including Common Core standards, comprehensive assessment systems and data-driven instruction.
Reporting to the principal and working with the Director of Career and Technical Education, the teacher ensures that all their students achieve ambitious academic outcomes. The teacher must effectively:
- Plan data-driven, standards-aligned and differentiated units, lessons and activities;
- Deliver clear, accurate and rigorous lessons with a range of instructional and formative assessment techniques;
- Establish and maintain a supportive, productive and positive learning environment with strong classroom management practices; and
- Monitor and communicate about student progress while engaging in continuous reflection, adjustment and professional development.
- The Cosmetology Teacher will work hands-on, alongside students to help build and deliver the school's program.
- Teaching courses to students in a hands-on and dynamic manner;
- Developing new course curriculum and exercises based on program requirements;
- Maintaining and updating existing course material and exercises based on changes in technology, methodologies, and/or changing students' needs;
- Providing assessments of student proficiency and improvement
For further details on our expectations for classroom educators, explore the Danielson Framework for Teaching. The teacher will perform additional related duties as required.QUALIFICATIONS:
- Associate's degree in a related field.
- At least 5 years of demonstrated success in the related field.
- Strong communication skills and ability to function in a fast-paced student-centered environment.
- Have a clear understanding of and commitment to serving the needs of traditional and non-traditional students.
- Meet requirements for New York State Teacher Certification.
- Prior demonstration of exemplary attendance is expected of any candidate for hire.
- Once offered, you will be required to declare that all previous obligations with an employing school district have been met and you are not seeking this position with the intent of resigning from a previous commitment in which you have not served.
- City Residents are encouraged to apply!
- The current starting salary for SCSD Teachers is $48,500. With proof of outside related experience and college transcripts, the salary will be increased pursuant to the Unit 1 contractual agreement.
- Teachers who are assigned to work at schools with extended learning time will receive an additional stipend.
- Teachers will have opportunities to teach in our Summer School Programs, receiving an hourly rate of $42.69.
- Teachers with experience and a deep background in Urban Education may qualify for the District's Urban Fellowship Program. For details of the program and its requirements, please click HERE.
Job Category :Career Education > CosmetologyEqual Opportunity Employer
Syracuse City School District is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.Contact Information
- Bridget Kemp
- 725 Harrison Street
- Syracuse,New York 13210
- Phone: 315-435-4171
- Email: click here