This position would be hired as a Long-Term Substitute Teacher for February through June 2019. This position would receive regular Unit 1 Teacher salary & benefits.About Our District
The Syracuse City School District is undergoing a new phase of innovation and transformation with the goal of ensuring that all students graduate high school with the skills needed to be ready for college and career. For Syracuse, all means all - including students who fall behind or have been considered "hard to serve" for a host of reasons. The School Board and Syracuse community have charged Superintendent Jaime Alicea with improving student achievement, and he is seeking a dedicated team of school leaders and teachers to partner with him in moving the district toward its goals. The Syracuse City School District represents 34 schools and 4 alternative education programs, serving 21,000+ students Pre-K-12 of whom 80% qualify for free or reduced price lunch, 19% are served by the Office of Special Education and 77% are students of color.Who We Want
Successful SCSD educators are passionately committed to urban education and all in for Syracuse students. They:
- Believe strongly that all students can learn at high levels;
- Demonstrate commitment to serving urban students, schools or communities, and to closing the achievement gap;
- Demonstrate willingness to put the interests of students above all others;
- Actively contribute to a culture of high expectations in their school and district;
- Adapt seamlessly to the complexities of the urban school environment; and
- Follow current trends in education policy and research, including Common Core standards, comprehensive assessment systems and data-driven instruction.
Reporting to the principal, the teacher ensures that all their students achieve ambitious academic outcomes. The teacher must effectively:
- Plan data-driven, standards-aligned and differentiated units, lessons and activities;
- Deliver clear, accurate and rigorous lessons with a range of instructional and formative assessment techniques;
- Establish and maintain a supportive, productive and positive learning environment with strong classroom management practices; and
- Monitor and communicate about student progress while engaging in continuous reflection, adjustment and professional development.
- The teacher will perform additional related duties as required.
For further details on our expectations for classroom educators, explore the Danielson Framework for Teaching (2011). Qualifications
- Proven experience accelerating measurable student learning in urban schools (preferred)
- Training and or experience with Culturally Relevant Education (preferred)
- Minimum of two years' successful classroom teaching experience (preferred)
- Prior demonstration of exemplary attendance is expected of any candidate for hire.
- All candidates must possess New York State teacher certification in their subject area, or qualify to obtain it by the first date of employment. This requires at least a Bachelor's degree. Licensed teachers from other states may qualify for reciprocity.
- Once offered, you will be required to declare that all previous obligations with an employing school district have been met and you are not seeking this position with the intent of resigning from a previous commitment in which you have not served.
- City Residents are encouraged to apply!
- The current starting salary for SCSD Teachers is $48,500. With proof of outside related experience and college transcripts, the salary will be increased pursuant to the Unit 1 contractual agreement.
Job Categories :Career Education > Music
Classroom Teacher > Music Education
Classroom Teacher > Music: Chorus
Classroom Teacher > Music: Instrumental
Instructional Support > SubstituteEqual Opportunity Employer
Syracuse City School District is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.Contact Information
- Bridget Kemp
- 725 Harrison Street
- Syracuse,New York 13210
- Phone: 315-435-4171
- Email: click here