KIPP NorCal's KIPP Through College (KTC) team is looking for a Career Advisor to work directly with KIPP NorCal's High School Juniors and Seniors by supporting them with career integration experiences that will help them be able to lead a choice filled life. This role will report to the Associate Director of Career Success and will work from the Regional Support Office in Oakland, CA.
Experience & Education:
- Track record of success working in career counseling or youth development
- Ability to use assets-based counseling and support for students in identifying their strengths, talents, and interests as they prepare for young adulthood
- Knowledge of Career Development for first-generation, educationally underserved college graduates from historically marginalized communities
- Familiarity in using data to drive decision making
- Experience managing projects and collaborating with internal and external stakeholders
- Bachelor’s Degree in education, counseling, youth development or have equivalent experience
- Positivity, optimism and a solutions-oriented mindset
- Practice healthy communication and embrace productive conflict to form trusting relationships, to collaborate, offer feedback and guidance, and to motivate and inspire others.
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to KIPP NorCal's mission and values
- Commitment to working with educationally underserved students and families from historically marginalized communities that have been systematically underserved
- Commitment to continuously learning how to lead for equity to ensure students and teammates thrive
- Extreme flexibility, strong work ethic, and an entrepreneurial spirit to accommodate joining a growing and constantly improving team
- Self-starter, comfortable in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- An achievement orientation: self-directed and results-oriented, demonstrating initiative and follow-through and ability to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Knowledge of United States Military branches, testing procedures and ability to support students with an exploration into military careers (Preferred but not required)
- Ability to self-direct and prioritize among competing goals and to initiate process improvements
- Goal-oriented, with strong initiative and creative problem-solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills: the ability to work with a wide range of people including teachers, counselors, parents, students, and administration teams
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Strong working knowledge in all Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Suite
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Provide Career Exploration & Career Exposure opportunities to 11th & 12th-grade student attending KIPP high schools across the Bay Area
- Work closely with all Sr. Managers of College Counseling and Seminar instructors to ensure that Career exploration events on school campuses are well attended and promoted
- Keep track of opportunities from local Community-Based Organizations that could support students with career readiness
- Recruit students to participate in career exploration events using CareerHub platform
- Support the planning & execution of an annual Career & Career Technical Education (CTE) Fair
- Stay consistent with promoting and championing choice filled lives with all KIPP NorCal's students
- Motivate students to confidently speak about career aspirations and be passionate about their long term goals
- Provide 1:1 student support to students needing early career intervention support
- Work closely with CTE Manager to deliver information to students about CTE programs and post-secondary options
- Work closely with AD of Career Success and KTC Staff to develop and accomplish all KIPP HS Career Goals
- Support the train the trainer PD series
- Work collaboratively and cooperatively with staff and students
- Be part of a growing team who is developing & leading change in a large effort to integrate Career into our existing KTC support model
Support for Juniors
- Support seminar instructors with Career Integration lessons/assignments (YouScience, Know your labor market PD, career readiness and career exploration activities)
- Will provide early intervention to students needing more support with Career exploration.
- Support students in developing Career wishlist (3 - 5 careers)
- Works with students to support them with finding a suitable Summer Career Readiness activity
Support for Seniors
- Will provide support with informing Seniors about career technical education options
- Will work with seminar instructors and persistence staff to support students with choosing Post Secondary pathway (Student review meetings)
- Support Students with creating Career wishlist
- Supports with transitioning CTE pathways students to CTE Manager
- Will participate in college visits to 4-year universities with students
Other Duties as Assigned
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands
Ability to navigate office and school campuses, and hold meetings in different spaces. Traditionally, much of the day involves sitting. Ability to access and utilize technology. Occasional lifting/carrying of equipment 1-20 lbs.
Ability to manage the stress of normal work standards, decision making, and deadlines. Critical thinking and mental focus necessary to analyze problems and work with interruptions.
Office environment. Access to reliable transportation for occasional travel.
Full-time, non-exempt position
About Public Schools Northern California
KIPP is a non-profit network of 224 college-preparatory, public charter schools across the country educating early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP schools are united by a common mission, a commitment to excellence, and a belief that if we help children develop the academic and character strengths they need for college and choice-filled lives, they will be able to build a better tomorrow for themselves, for their communities, and for us all.
There are currently 15 KIPP schools across Northern California educating nearly 6,000 students in East Palo Alto, Oakland, San Francisco, San Lorenzo, San Jose, and Redwood City and supporting over 3,000 alumni around the country.
KIPP offers a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and transportation benefits.