KIPP Texas Public Schools is a network of 59 public charter, open-enrollment, pre-k-12 schools educating nearly 34,000 students across Austin, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. Together with families and communities, our mission is to create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose -college, career, and beyond-so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Founded in Houston in 1994, and operating as KIPP Texas since 2018, our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in our classrooms, in our offices, and in the communities we serve is unwavering. We are looking to hire a diverse team of dynamic, collaborative, and dedicated individuals with an unyielding belief that every child will succeed. Join our Team and Family and champion equity, chase excellence, persist with purpose, bring joy
, and help us rise together
KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income communities.Job DescriptionPosition Summary
The KIPP Math Acceleration program enhances student learning by reinforcing academic concepts and skills that students first learn during core instruction. KTX Math Academic Acceleration Tutors are full-time tutors charged with providing students with highly personalized tutoring in mathematics during the regular school day. Tutors are charged with building strong relationships that help to increase each student's self-confidence, investment and ability to meet and exceed learning goals. This is a full-time position that is benefits eligible and TRS eligible.
While teachers have classrooms of 25 or 30 students, KTX Math Academic Acceleration Tutors provide instruction for no more than 5 students at a time. This allows for the individualized, foundational and supplemental instruction in a safe space, where students are encouraged to engage with one another and explain their thinking. By using math as the vehicle, Tutors foster critical thinkers, confident communicators, and engaged citizens who question, reflect, self-assess, visualize, respond positively to feedback, persevere, and internalize goal setting as a tool for continuous self-improvement.
Math Academic Acceleration Tutors receive curriculum materials, pre-service training, ongoing mentoring and professional development as well as written evaluation of feedback from their assigned regional Instructional Lead. Tutors are charged with focusing on the individual needs of their students, helping to accelerate student achievement and close any skill gaps that may exist.The KIPP Texas Math Academic Acceleration Tutors' responsibilities include:
Required activities include, but are not limited to: Instruction
- Providing daily, small group instruction
- Planning engaging and mastery driven learning experiences
- Communication with students, campus staff and families
- Providing ongoing feedback to students
- Data analysis and response to student progress and performance
- Carry out all the responsibilities of an academic tutor and ensure that students are consistently learning and challenged
- Assist students in setting and reaching academic goals
- Observe, monitor, and assess students' performance on a regular basis and record data to track student progress towards academic goals
- Modify instruction and lesson plans based on student assessment results
- Tutor students using a variety of research-based instructional strategies designed to support students' individual needs
Communication & Feedback
- Plan daily and weekly lesson plans using a predetermined curriculum
- Prepare instructional activities to support students in mastering specific academic skills, subject matter content, and end-of-course assessments
- Collaborate with classroom teachers and KTX Regional Instructional Leads to ensure tutorial lessons are aligned with classroom instruction
- Communicate with students' families at least once every two weeks to update them on their student's academic progress in acceleration groups
- Actively participate in professional development activities
- Meet with the Regional Instructional Lead regularly to receive coaching and both informal and formal evaluation and feedback.
QualificationsKnowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Maintain confidentiality of student information as required by law and KIPP Texas policies
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Expertise in the content and grade level assigned
Being a KTX Academic Acceleration Tutor is an intense but rewarding experience. The following characteristics are what we seek from each and every one of our Academic Acceleration Tutors:
Preferred Education and/or Experience:Required Licensure/Certification/Specialized Training:
- Associates degree or higher required.
- A team-player attitude with a strong sense of personal accountability and strong communication skills.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and ability to be flexible and deal with a certain amount of unpredictability.
- The ability and willingness to go above and beyond to help support student achievement.
- Experience working with adolescents or related fields preferred.
- Experience tutoring or mentoring youth is preferred.
Preferred Licensure/Certification/Specialized Training:Additional Information Location
- Passage of KIPP administered math assessment, required for hire
San Antonio, TXCompensation and Benefits:
In addition to a competitive salary scale, a part of KIPP Texas' competitive benefits options, KIPP offers all employees an $0 HMO plan for the employee only. In addition to our $0 plan, KIPP provides a $600 employer contribution towards a Health Savings Account and a variety of other supplemental benefits such as Dental, Vision, Short and Long-Term Disability, Pet Insurance, Life, etc.Funding:
The Math Academic Acceleration Tutor will be funded directly from the Elementary and Secondary Schools Emergency Relief (ESSER) grants awarded by the Texas Education Agency under the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021 (ESSER II) and the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (ESSER III). This position will be funded solely (100%) from the ESSER II and III allocation for direct expenses through September 30, 2023, and may continue to be funded through September 30, 2024, depending upon the availability of ESSER grant funds. At the end of the grant period this position may be eliminated unless other sources of funds are secured to maintain this position or a similar position. The employee must sign this job description acknowledging receipt of the job description and signing their acknowledgement that this position is grant funded and is temporarily aligning with the terms of the grant period.