School Nurse (District-wide)Reports to:
Campus AdministratorWage/Hour Status:
San Antonio, TexasSchool Year:
The District Nurse provides preventative health services to facilitate the student's optimal physical, mental, emotional and social growth and development. Identifies problems and disabilities and provides such services as case finding, health education, referring and care in order to help prevent serious health problems which would later be more difficult and costly to address. Supports the education process by working to assure the health of the students.Qualifications: Education/Certification
- Qualified to practice as a licensed or registered nurse in the State of Texas and holds an unrestricted license.
- Certified in CPR or BLS (or obtain in the first 6 months)
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Minimum of one (1) year experience in public health nursing, community health nursing, school health nursing or pediatric nursing
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Knowledge of principles and practices underlying the special field of school health.
- Knowledge of current trends in nursing and of literature in the fields of school health.
- Knowledge of organization and administration of other cooperating agencies.
- Knowledge of state and local laws relating to health and social issues.
- Ability to participate cooperatively in a program of school health nursing.
- Ability to exercise professional judgment in making decisions.
- Ability to communicate appropriately and effectively with students, parents, administrators, and other school personnel, etc.
- Demonstrate a genuine interest in the student population and its health needs.
- Promotes and protects the optimal health status of school-age children.
- Provides health assessments.
- Screens and evaluates findings of deficit in vision, hearing, scoliosis, growth, etc.
- Observes the child for development and health patterns in making nursing assessments.
- Identifies abnormal health findings.
- Obtains a health history and Develops and implements a student health plan
- Interprets the health status of students to parents and school personnel.
- Initiates referral to parents, school personnel or community health resources for intervention, remediation and follow through.
- Provides ongoing health counseling with students, parents, school personnel or health agencies.
- Utilizes existing health resources to provide appropriate care of students.
- Maintains, evaluates and interprets cumulative health data to accommodate individual needs of students
- Plans and implements school health management protocols
- Participates in home visits to assess the family needs as related to the child's health.
- Develops procedures and provides for emergency nursing management for injuries/illnesses
- Promotes and assists in the control of communicable diseases.
- Provides health education and anticipatory guidance
- Provides direct health education, and health counseling to assist students and families in making decisions on health and lifestyles that affect health.
- Participates in health education directly and indirectly for the improvement of health by teaching persons to become more assertive health consumers and to assume greater responsibility for their own health.
- Counsels with students concerning problems such as pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases and substance abuse in order to facilitate responsible decision making practices.
- Serves as a resource person to the school staff members in health instruction.
- Coordinates school and community health activities and serves as a liaison health professional between the home, school and community.
- Acts as a resource person in promoting health careers.
- Engages in research and evaluation of school health services to act as a change agent for school health programs and school nursing practices.
- Provides consultation in the formation of health policies, goals and objectives for the school district.
- Where applicable, participates in the IEP plan development.
- Travel as required.
Physical / Environmental Factors
- All equipment required to perform jobs duties and task previously described.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Heritage Academy Charter Schools, Inc. (HACS) considers applicants for all positions without regards to race, color, national origin, age, religion, sex, marital status, veteran or military status, disability, or any other legally protected status. HACS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Category: Student Services > School Nurse Contact Information
- David Lee
- 12470 Woman Hollering Rd.
- Schertz, Texas 78154