What do you do all day?
At NMSI, our people mean everything to us, they are the lifeblood of the organization. Without our staff, NMSI is just an idea. As a key member of the External Affairs, Marketing and Communications team (MarCom), the Director of Marketing Communications is responsible for the design, development, coordination and implementation of NMSI’s marketing communications directed at Increasing donor lead generation and program engagement among public school systems. This full-time role is based out of our office in Dallas, Texas, or from a home office anywhere in the contiguous United States.
What are the details?
- Support the Senior Director, Marketing and Communications in the design, development, coordination and implementation of brand awareness across cultivation, customer marketing, government relations and general audiences. Collaborate with the Communications Manager to determine and execute messaging and copywriting necessary to support lead generation and program engagement across public school systems.
- Work closely with internal teams to develop and deploy marketing strategies that serve business objectives.
- Develop the annual donor and program partner cultivation marketing plan, which covers effective product launch material and product literature updates, innovative go-to-market strategies, advertising (development, creation and placement), and supporting lead generation.
- Oversee development of marketing collateral to support the sales, fundraising, and brand awareness efforts – including website, videos, pitch decks, presentations, branded content, printed materials, etc.
- Oversee website development and email marketing strategy.
- Manage and develop content for direct mail and email fundraising campaigns.
- Identify, establish and manage internal and external relationships with tacticians necessary to create and update assets needed to execute marketing strategy – including graphic and/or web designers, video professionals, etc.
- Oversee general support to various business units for branding, print and graphic design, video production, email communications, etc.
- Monitor paid media activity for measuring/reporting MarCom spend ROI to senior management
- Work with regional sales team to leverage external relationships and promotional opportunities and manage the information fulfillment process, communications to sales teams and customers, web content, and interaction with vendors to cost-effectively produce promotional/technical collateral.
- Other duties as assigned
What are we looking for?
- Education & Experience – You have a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Marketing or related field or demonstrable experience in marketing communications. You have at least five years of professional marketing experience, preferably in Marketing Communications. Proven track record of creativity, reactivity, ability to innovate. You have experience with product collateral design and production, including outside vendor management and negotiation. You have hands-on experience and familiarity with marketing systems (i.e. Pardot, Marketo and/or HubSpot) and marketing automation practices.
- Marketing Expert: You have expert knowledge in the latest digital and social media technology and channels. You also have the ability to best leverage marketing stack for marketing programs as part of an overall social business strategy.
- Effective Communicator: You have excellent oral communication and written skills.
- Leadership: You have the ability to lead a team with excellent interpersonal skills
- Inclusive – You can work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion or job type—or any other factor that makes us unique!
- Project Management: You have a strong working knowledge of project management. You also have the skills to effectively manage a variety projects and deadlines
- Organized & Productive – You are a master at planning your day and not letting distractions come in between meeting your goals. You have strong organizational skills with attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Reliable – You can work effectively with minimal supervision, but you also know when to ask for help
- Flexible – You are comfortable working in an ambiguous environment with competing priorities; you’re willing to travel a few times throughout the year when necessary
- Growth Mindset – You learn from failure and crave feedback because you know that it makes you better; you are also not afraid to give feedback to your manager or colleagues
- Tech Savvy – You embrace technology as a tool to enhance your work effectiveness but not a tool to replace hard work
Want to learn more?
The National Math and Science Initiative is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to transforming math and science education in today’s classrooms and ensuring that all students have the knowledge and skills to thrive in the global economy of the 21st century. Founded in 2007, NMSI began by dramatically improving student participation and success in rigorous Advanced Placement math, science and English courses in 85 courses across seven states. Today, NMSI has scaled its proven program to serve more than 1.5 million students, 50,000 teachers, 1,000 high schools and 45 universities across 40 states, and is having a demonstrable and lasting impact on student outcomes.
NMSI Next, our five-year strategic plan, deepens our commitment to transform our current programs. In doing so, we will also launch a bold approach to partnering with school systems that drives outcomes not only at the student and school system levels, but also at the regional and national levels. NMSI Next is anchored on the concept that the whole will be greater than the sum of the parts and that our teamwork and program work go hand in hand. Additionally, we believe that our impact at the school system, regional, and national levels will reinforce itself to ensure population level outcomes.
We believe STEM education is the greatest lever to accessing opportunity and is unmatched in unlocking student potential.
Specifically, NMSI Next will implement the following strategic levers so that all students, especially those furthest from opportunity, thrive and reach their highest potential as problem solvers and lifelong learners, pursue their passions and tackle the world’s toughest challenges.
- Catalyze bold thinking and enduring solutions for all students nationally
- Collaborate with regional stakeholders to drive sustainable changes
- Provide school systems a world class K-12 solution set
- Build a strong, sustainable, and nimble organization positioning us to deliver exponential impact
The organization has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
National Math + Science Initiative (NMSI) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. NMSI complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which we have employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.