Nov 18, 2022
KIPP Texas Public Schools is a network of 59 public charter, open-enrollment, pre-k-12 schools educating nearly 34,000 students across Austin, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. Together with families and communities, our mission is to create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose -college, career, and beyond-so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Founded in Houston in 1994, and operating as KIPP Texas since 2018, our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in our classrooms, in our offices, and in the communities we serve is unwavering. We are looking to hire a diverse team of dynamic, collaborative, and dedicated individuals with an unyielding belief that every child will succeed. Join our Team and Family and champion equity, chase excellence, persist with purpose, bring joy, and help us rise together.
KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income communities.
Every member of the Team & Family at KIPP Texas Public Schools plays a critical role in ensuring our students have the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose - college, career and beyond. Our educators are passionate advocates for their students and their families, working tirelessly to ensure that our students have access to opportunity. In our classrooms and across the KIPP family we embrace, honor and celebrate our differences across several characteristics that construct our unique identities in our little and big KIPPsters. We are especially committed to attracting and developing individuals who share the life experiences of our students because we believe the best work we do is grounded in the realities and experiences of our families and KIPPsters. The Behavior Specialist will effectively assess the behavior needs of students with disabilities and those demonstrating behavior needs, design and monitor intervention plans for students, support schoolwide Positive Behavior Intervention Supports, and provide professional development to teachers and staff. This position furthers the mission of KIPP Texas Austin as it helps ensure that all students have the tools and the supportive environment they need to learn.
• Conduct informal functional behavioral assessments
• Conduct informal evaluations and other professional activities consistent with the requirements of laws, rules and regulations, and local district policies and procedures
• Conduct informal functional behavioral assessments;
• Utilize various assessment instruments and techniques to assist in identifying appropriate intervention strategies and techniques
• Design, implement, and monitor behavior intervention plans
• Develop crisis intervention plans when needed
• Collaborate with Teachers, Social Workers, agencies, and other service providers, when needed
• Consult with school staff working with students with behavioral needs on behavior management techniques
• Attend Admissions, Review, and Dismissal (ARD) Committee meetings to serve as a member of the team for students with behavioral concerns and discuss behavior evaluation results
• Provide schools support with Response to Intervention processes and recommend interventions for students with behavioral challenges
• Provide informative workshops for educators, school leaders and faculty members
• Serve as a member of the campus Leadership and Response to Intervention Teams
• Supervise students assigned to in-school suspension
• Support students with intensive behavior needs, including but not limited to de-escalation, implementing BIPs, taking behavior data, crisis intervention, and classroom behavior support
Education and Knowledge:
• Bachelor's degree in education, psychology, or related field required
• A minimum of 2 experience working with students; experience working with behavioral/emotional needs preferred
• Knowledge of the principles and practice of Applied Behavior Analysis including general behavioral assessment and Ethical Standards in Applied Behavior Analysis
• Knowledge of the behavioral impact of developmental disabilities, as well as the cognitive, educational, vocational, and social challenges encountered by persons with developmental disabilities
• Knowledge of state and federal regulations relative to special education and the behavioral requirements for students with disabilities
• Experience collaborating with team members and providing constructive and instructive support
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Articulate, professional demeanor with strong self-confidence and initiative
• Ability to work both on broad-based strategy and everyday details
• Ability to exercise excellent judgment in decision-making
• Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing priorities
• Ability to synthesize knowledge and present it to stakeholders in a comprehensive manner
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
• Independent, self-starter with a strong focus on student development
• Dependable, organized, efficient, and creative
• Proven written and verbal communication skills; Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of special needs students and their parents
• Strong organizational and planning skills
• Possession of a passionate and loving attitude toward all children
• Committed to the mission of KIPP
• Responsiveness; Follow-up and follow-through with students, families, and faculty members is essential
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
• Proficiency using computers, printers, copy machines, and fax machines
• Bilingualism (English-Spanish), preferred
Compensation and Benefits:
As a full time KIPP Texas employee you are eligible to participate in all KIPP Texas' benefit plans. KIPP Texas offers a robust variety of benefits choices, including medical, dental, and vision options, as well as life insurance, fertility, and disability plans starting as low as $25/month.
KIPP provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability