Title: Parent Organizer, Sacramento
Location: Sacramento, CA
Overview of Responsibilities
The Parent Organizer, Sacramento will play a key role in identifying, training, and developing parents from across the region to be leaders in their communities. These leaders build powerful organizations that successfully protect and expand charter schools so that all children have access to excellent education. The ideal candidate will be a skilled community organizer, with an understanding of education reform and a knack for developing people as leaders in their communities and a comfort with running local and political campaigns.
The Parent Organizer, Sacramento will also work closely with the Sacramento Organizing Team to lead and execute local campaigns aligned with the organizational missions of both CCSA (501c3) and CCSA Advocates (501c4). The ideal candidate must possess strong interpersonal skills, hands-on experience developing leadership in others, and be well organized and flexible. A sense of humor, knowledge of the charter school policy and advocacy landscape, and a passion for educational justice make the candidate a good fit for the team and position. Strong project management and written/verbal communication skills are required.
- Identify, train and develop parents and other community members as leaders in the principles and practices of community organizing in order to build powerful parent-driven teams connected to CCSA Families.
- Conduct at least 12 one-to-one visits and one house meeting with parents and community members every week, as well as build and manage multiple parent teams in Sacramento.
- Build multiple parent teams that drive local issue work and develop charter school parents into a powerful voice in their schools, neighborhoods, cities, and statewide.
- Develop and lead trainings in collaboration with staff to grow parents in their advocacy, organizing, and leadership skills.
- Train and guide leaders and teams in relationship building, research, and policy development to building political power in Sacramento.
- Prepare leaders to hold demand meetings, press events, public actions between parents and public officials, including state legislators and local school board members.
- Mobilize parents to lead or attend large public forums, rallies, and demand actions demonstrating the power of charter school parents and families.
- Execute electoral campaign operations, including coordinating and turning out volunteers for phone banking and canvassing in conjunction with CCSA Advocates.
- Work with Director, Parent Organizing, Sacramento to develop, implement, and adjust unified campaign strategies (state, citywide, and local communities).
- Develop and implement campaign strategies and tactics, with parent voices driving decisions.
- Manage and maintain a timely and comprehensive database of current and potential parents who can be called on for political action and advocacy.
- Manage relationships with leaders from multiple sectors, such as principals, teachers, charter school leaders, elected officials and community leaders to support the agenda of CCSA Families.
- Develop a proficiency in education reform issues, learning best practices in school development, education policy, and the elements of excellent public schools
- Serve as an active member of the Sacramento Organizing Team and participate in cross-department working groups and committees.
- Participate in internal, regional and national staff development sessions with organization partners.
- Complete daily administrative and reporting activities, including timely submission of timesheets, significant daily data entry of field activities, manager reports, and credit card forms.
- Provide support, as appropriate, to CCSA Advocates - CCSA's tandem 501(c)4 organization - with campaign efforts at the local and state level.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Willingness to work flexible hours including occasional weeknights and weekends; ability to travel and work remotely; driver's license and access to a vehicle
- Experience motivating others to action
- Experience and willingness to track data daily and use data strategically
- Ability to build relationships quickly with diverse stakeholders
- Knowledge of and belief in the essential role of charter schools as a means for improved educational options for students and a lever for broader educational change in California
- Experience managing multiple, simultaneous work efforts and a strong ability to plan strategically and marshal resources toward the implementation of that plan
- Ability to take initiative and high levels of ownership for outcomes, and exercise sound judgment in day-to-day decision-making
- 100% follow-through: No dropped balls policy; stay on top of specific tasks and consistently meet deadlines
- Spirit of Yes: Embrace the obstacles that will pop up and be creative on how you come up with solutions; embrace the changing landscape and adapt quickly
- Action-oriented: You must love getting people together to take action; you must be willing to step outside of your comfort zone and know how to motivate others to get out of theirs
- Understand and appreciate the use of outcomes-based data and information to help drive performance
- Strong commitment to social and educational justice
- Strong technology skills with expertise in MS Office
- Spanish speaking required
- 3-5 years of professional work experience
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Prior experience in community, labor, or political organizing
- Campaigning, lobbying, advocacy, public policy, training or relevant experience
- Comfort with multiple modes of effective communication, including social and on-line media tools
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and references as one PDF or Word document:
Save the document as "your first name and last name" - Parent Organizer, Sacramento, and email it as an attachment to: [email protected]. Do not write anything on the subject line or in the email body.
Position will be open until filled.
About the California Charter Schools Association (CCSA) (501c3)
The California Charter Schools Association is the membership and professional organization serving over 1,260 charter public schools and more than 630,000 students in the state of California. The Vision of the California Charter Schools Association (CCSA) is to increase student learning by growing the number of families choosing high quality charter schools so that no child is denied the right to a great public education. The Mission of CCSA is to have a million students attending charter public schools by 2022, with charter public schools outperforming non charter public schools on every measure.
About the California Charter Schools Association Advocates (CCSA Advocates) (501c4)
The California Charter Schools Association Advocates (CCSA Advocates) is a 501(c)(4) organization dedicated to increasing the involvement of the charter school community in the public policy arena, creating a pipeline of charter school supporters and activists, electing public officials who support California charter schools, and growing the political influence of the California charter school movement. The Vision of the California Charter Schools Association Advocates (CCSAA) is to increase student learning by growing the number of families choosing high quality charter schools so that no child is denied the right to a great public education. The Mission of Advocates is to increase the number of students attending quality charter schools in California as quickly as possible by creating a political environment that is supportive of charter schools. For more information, please visit http://www.ccsaadvocates.org/.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.