Harrisonburg City Public Schools Job Description Title:
Head Coach - High School Job Summary:
The head coach is responsible for planning, directing and and leading an education based athletic program that seeks to develop athletes of empathy and integrity. Qualifications:
- Must meet the head coaching requirements of the State High School League and/or the State Department of Education. (VHSL Coaches Education, CPR, First Aid, Child Abuse Recognition)
- Attend a seminar/coaches training
- Experience coaching in an Education Based athletic program required.
- Certified teacher or full-time classified employee for Harrisonburg City Public Schools preferred
- Proficiency in public speaking and written communication to express and/or exchange ideas.
- Playing and/or coaching experience preferred.
Principal and Director of Student Activities Job goals:
To accept the responsibility of the program and work with the students/athletes in the sport assigned and to provide life lessons that will positively impact the physical, social and emotional well being of all who are involved. Traits of an Effective Coach:
- Demonstrates a high degree of empathy, positivity, trust, responsibility, discipline & flexibility. Is a developer, teacher, achiever and problem solver.
- Emotionally mature, objective, and sensitive to people and their concerns. Able to handle work independently and maintain collaborative working relationships with students, families, administration, co-workers and community agencies.
- Follows the rules and regulations of the school, the conference and the State High School League.
- Attend the rules interpretation meeting held by the State High School League.
- Maintain a membership in the appropriate coaches association and participate so that our school has representation.
- Accept and implement the co-curricular philosophy of High School.
- Assist in maintaining high academic and behavioral standards for all student athletes.
- Monitor academic performance of athletes and ensure academic assistance and follow-up is provided for athletes that need it.
- Supervise, direct and coordinate and monitor student athletes.
- Assist the Director of Student Activities (DSA) and principal in the hiring and/or retention of assistant coaches.
- Assist students in communication with prospective college coaches and provide letters of recommendation as requested.
- Direct, supervise, and evaluate regularly the performance of all assistant coaches of the respective sport.
- Attend clinics, seminars and in-service programs in order to improve coaching skills and to stay current with new trends in coaching, training, conditioning and safety procedures.
- Attend school, conference and section coaches meetings.
- Give input about and then carry out the interscholastic schedule as drawn up by the DSA.
- Organize, schedule and supervise practice sessions.
- Submit and verify transportation requests for scrimmages, practices and events.
- Supervise the use of equipment in your sport.
- Development of a written annual inventory and make recommendations for purchases to the DSA.
- Distributes and collects equipment and supplies.
- Regularly inspect equipment and facilities to insure the safety of each student athlete.
- Responsible for reporting scores and disseminating team information for publicity.
- Participate in pre and post season meetings with the DSA. The post-season meeting will serve as an evaluation conference.
- Delegate responsibility to the assistant coaches as appropriate.
- Organize and participate in an end of the season information and evaluation sessions with all assistant coaches.
- Work to develop continuity between the community and school programs.
- Provide leadership in his or her program for all levels (9th, 10th, JV and Varsity) of the sport.
- Only allows athletes certified by the Activities Office to participate.
- Maintains appropriate supervision of his/her program at all times (locker rooms, practices, events, bus rides, etc.). Supervises any and all space used by athletes while they are present.
- Assures that the squad at all times will reflect proper attitude and conduct at home or away.
- Encourages young men and women to participate in sports and other co-curricular activities other than his/her own but does not attempt to influence the specific sport or activity.
- Establish and use a system of communication to athletes and parents that will include explanation of program policies, awards, procedures, goals and schedules.
- Has responsibility for the end of season awards programs.
- Represent the school in a professional manner in demeanor, language, and conduct (based on standards established by the DSA).
- Develop and maintain current knowledge of the activity
- All other duties as assigned by the DSA.
Duties performed typically in settings related to athletics and include, but not limited to: gymnasiums, sport fields, locker rooms, activity buses, weight rooms, and other home and away recreational areas. Frequent walking, stooping, standing, lifting, up to approximately 50 pounds, and occasional lifting of equipment/objects weighing in excess of 75 pounds. Other physical activities are required. Travel with students, coaches, trainers, and teams on athletic related trips is required. Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for determining injuries/illnesses; the worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, noise and hazards. Occasional movement of students by wheelchairs and other mechanical devices may be required. Contact with athletic coaches, athletic trainers, administration, staff, and parents is required. Contact with medical professionals may be required. Frequent contact with parents by phone and in person is necessary.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to
perform the essential functions and meet the physical demands. Terms of Employment
: Athletic Season FLSA Status:
: SALARY SCALE:
Stipend Scale EVALUATION:
The Principal in conjunction with the Athletic Director will evaluate performance on the ability and effectiveness in carrying out the above responsibilities.
The above is intended to describe the essential functions of and requirements for the performance of this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities and requirements of this position.
The Harrisonburg City School Board is an equal opportunity employer, committed to nondiscrimination in recruitment, selection, hiring, pay, promotion, retention or other personnel action affecting employees or candidates for employment.
Therefore, discrimination in employment against any person on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation, gender, age, disability or marital status is prohibited. Personnel decisions shall be based on merit and the ability to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation. To be considered for the vacancy, please complete ALL sections of the application.
will not be accepted in lieu
of a completed application.
Please be sure to upload the following:
- Three (3) current professional references (Name, phone number, email address). At least one reference should be a current supervisor or most recent supervisor.
- Cover Letter and Resume
Job Category: Athletics & Activities > Coaching Equal Opportunity Employer
Harrisonburg City Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Yeevonne Connolly
- One Court Square
- Harrisonburg , Virginia 22801