ALAMANCE-BURLINGTON SCHOOL SYSTEMPOSITION DESCRIPTION POSITION TITLE Firefighter Academy InstructorSCHOOL/DEPARTMENT
Graham High School/CTE DepartmentSALARY
Teacher Salary Schedule plus supplementFLSA STATUS
Exempt REPORTS TO
Principal and CTE DirectorSUPERVISES
Students; Teacher Assistants as assignedWORK WEEK SCHEDULE
Monday - Friday WORK HOURS
Monday - Friday NUMBER OF MONTHS PER YEAR
The mission of NC secondary Career and Technical Education (CTE) is to empower all students to be successful citizens, workers and leaders in a global economy. The Alamance-Burlington School System CTE department provides a comprehensive program for students in grades 6-12. CTE offers courses in the following programs: Agriculture, Business and Information Technology, Family and Consumer Sciences, Health Sciences, Marketing, Technology, and Trade and Industry. We encourage students to earn industry recognized credentials whenever feasible.
This CTE position's purpose is to teach courses in the Public Safety Academy/Fire Academy to
students from across the district in order to prepare the next generation of Firefighters. This
position will also introduce students to different careers in public safety. Students will be able to
earn certifications while in high school to be prepared for a career in public service or to continue
their education at a community college or university. The Fire Academy Instructor will partner
regularly with local Fire Departments, Alamance Community College and local fire training
related industries/organizations to provide real world scenarios for students and to keep the
program current and up-to-date with industry requirements.CERTIFICATION AND LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
- Hold or be eligible to hold Teaching License 74099 Trade and Industrial Education-Public Safety issued by the state of NC
- Must hold NC Office of State Fire Marshal Qualified Fire Fighter II Instructor (passing Q school)
prior to teaching.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE License NumberRequired DegreesWork ExperienceCredentials
- Must not be on the NCDPI list of teachers no longer qualified to teach and/or must not be currently engaged in a certification revocation hearing process
- Must possess a valid driver's license issued by the NC Department of Motor Vehicles (Possess or be eligible to possess a Class B driver's license, preferred).
- If transferring from a teaching position from another school system in or out of state, must have received routine meets standards or above standard evaluations with no action plans for improvement
74099 Trade and Industrial Education -Public Safety
High School Diploma, Associate's Degree or Bachelor's Degree in a related area
2 years within past 5 years with a Bachelor's
4 years within past 8 years with an Associate's
6 years within the past 10 years with a High School Diploma
NC Office of State Fire Marshal Qualified Fire Fighter II Instructor (passing Q school) prior to teachingESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Constantly monitor the safety and well-being of students, particularly when students are participating in an hands-on activity using tools and equipment.
- Maintain a clean and orderly environment.
- Maintain order and discipline in a classroom.
- Meet and Instruct assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated.
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, projects, etc. in order to communicate these objectives effectively to students.
- Create a classroom environment that provides for student involvement in the learning process and enables each student to achieve learning objectives.
- Ability to demonstrate firefighting apparatus and equipment such as rescue tools, portable pumps, and Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus gear to illustrate fireground application.
- Ability to demonstrate excellence in fire service operations management.
- Knowledge of best practices in fire safety and emergency management through continuing education to include appreciation and understanding of technology.
- Provide an instructional program to meet the needs of all students.
- Maintain accurate and complete records as required by law, ABSS policy, NCDPI and
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships as needed.
- Work effectively with administrators, colleagues, central office, school-based staff, students, parents and the community.
- Attend staff meetings and serve on staff committees as required.
- Participate in CTE Advisory Board meetings as requested.
- Contact graduated CTE Concentrator students as part of CTE Concentrator follow up surveys.
- Administer and supervise standardized test administrations in accordance with all applicable Code of Ethics, Testing Code of Ethics, NCDPI, and/or national standards and regulations.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Principal.
The above statements are intended to describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this position. They are not intended to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and skills that may be required of the employees assigned to this position. This description may be revised by the supervisor, with HC review and approval, any time.
- Position Type:Full-time
- Positions Available:1
Job Category :Career Education > Firefighter TrainingJob RequirementsContact Information
- Teresa Cunningham-Brown , Executive Director of Human Resources
- 1712 Vaughn Road
- Burlington,North Carolina 27217
- Phone: 3364384000
- Email: click here