ELD (English Language Development) Parent Liaison ParaprofessionalDepartment:
Paraprofessionals Job Class:
Non-Exempt Job Grade:
Classified Contract Terms:
July 2018 SUMMARY:
Responsible for providing assistance to ELD teachers. Assists in the instruction relating to the physical and instructional needs of new language learning pupils in an ELD setting. Provides some clerical (documentation) support to teachers. May provide assistance with a variety of daily functions such as toileting, feeding, and life skills instruction and/or behavior management. Develops and promotes good community relations among various community and school clientele. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class; employees may be assigned duties which are not listed below; reasonable accommodations will be made as required. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change at any time by the employer. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Education and Experience:
- Support Individual Education Plan (IEP) goals with ELD students, assist with daily classroom or lab activities, including one on one and small group instruction, including supervision of students during non-classroom times.
- May maintain some student records, such as data collection and work samples.
- Collaborate and consult with ELD team and other specialists on various activities, planning, and resource allocations for ELD students.
- Communicate with parents and other school personnel as needed. (usually teachers communicate unless directed otherwise).
- Provide clerical support for ELD teachers which might include preparation of special reports.
- May provide assistance in some therapeutic activities such as speech and physical therapy.
- May supervise students in non-classroom settings, assist and escort students, including transferring to and from buses.
- May assist students with a variety of daily functions, such as feeding, toileting, etc. as well as life skills instruction.
- May create instructional materials for student use and/or for classroom benefit such as: bulletin boards, manipulatives, for example.
- Respect confidentiality regarding student needs and abilities.
- Supports the relationship between Garfield School District RE-2 and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors, and District staff.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Maintains regular and reliable attendance.
Required Licenses or Certifications:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent AND;
- Must be proficient in both spoken and written English and Spanish.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:Knowledge of:
- First Aid & CPR Certification - American Heart Association preferred.
Knowledge of (Job Class Standard):
- General office procedures, policies, and practices.
- Customer service techniques.
- Safety policies, procedures, and practices for basic industry standards.
- Personal protective equipment and proper use.
- General District practice and procedure.
Skill in (Job Class Standard):
- Strong people and computer skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to follow directions and collaborate with team members.
- Ability to remain calm and respond to student behaviors appropriately.
- Effective teaching skills to assist the students.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
- Organizing and prioritizing work to meet deadlines and accomplish tasks.
- Handling multiple tasks simultaneously, under pressure, and in emergency and stressful situations.
- Communicating effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Operating tools and equipment safely.
- Work is performed in a standard classroom setting with some work being performed at various District properties and off-site locations.
- Heavy lifting, bending, stooping, standing for long periods of time may be required.
- Stacy Jones, Human Resource Specialist
- 839 Whiteriver Avenue
- Rifle, Colorado 81650