Requirements stated herein are minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities to qualify for this position. To perform the duties and responsibilities of this position successfully, the employee must possess the abilities and aptitudes to perform each task proficiently. "Ability" means to possess and apply both knowledge and skill.
The methods of meeting these requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities. Some requirements, however, may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or others.REPORTS TO:
Director of Transportation or Superintendent or Supt. Designee when applicableAPPROVED: 8-8-16SUMMARY
Under general supervision, to operate a school bus or transportation vehicle over designated routes within an established time schedule; to transport students to and from school and on special event trips; to perform daily inspections of a bus or transportation equipment; and to do other related work as required.DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Drive a school bus or transportation vehicle over assigned routes in accordance with an established time schedule.
- Assist in evaluating transportation routes, and report unsafe road conditions.
- Transport children to and from school.
- Load and unload students safely at designated stops and on study trips.
- Stop traffic and escort children across streets.
- Plan, organize and implement student safety and pupil transportation vehicle evacuation drills.
- Maintain bus or transportation vehicle in a clean and orderly condition, and inspect and report any mechanical defects or malfunctions.
- Adhere to policies and procedures in maintaining appropriate student behavior.
- Respond to public contacts concerning transportation problems and concerns.
- Complete the daily transportation activity record, including number of students transported, mileage, type of trip, and standby time.
- Sweep, clean and refuel buses.
- May transport children with special learning needs and physical handicaps.
- Administer first aid as required, and contact appropriate administrators in case of serious injury or illness.
Knowledge of :
Safe driving practices and techniques;
Basic first aid procedures and methods;
Safety and maintenance requirements of bus and other pupil transportation equipment;
Provisions of the Kentucky Motor Vehicle Code applicable to the operation of vehicles in the transportation of school children.
Ability to :
Drive a school bus and operate other transportation equipment safely and efficiently;
Maintain appropriate student behavior on a school bus or other transportation equipment;
Perform appropriately in situations requiring tact and diplomacy;
Understand and carry out oral and written directions;
Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical requirements indicated below are examples of the physical aspects that this position classification must perform in carrying out essential job functions.
- Persons performing service in this position classification will exert 10 to 20 pounds of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- Must have an adequate range of motion in the upper extremities.
- This type of work involves operating a student transportation vehicle, sitting during much of the assignment, but will involve walking or standing for brief periods.
- Perceiving the nature of sound, near and far vision, depth perception, providing oral information, the manual dexterity to operate business related equipment, and handle and work with various materials and objects are important aspects of this job.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable a person with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job.EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and skill is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and skill would be:
One year of experience in the transportation of school children, or the completion of a school bus driver training program.
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.License and Certificate Requirement
Possession of a valid Kentucky Motor Vehicle Operator's License;
Possession of a School Bus Driver's Certificate issued by the state of Kentucky.Condition of Employment
Insurability by the District's liability insurance carrier.
Job Categories: Instructional Support > Substitute
Support Staff > Transportation Equal Opportunity Employer
0 Contact Information
- Stacy Bradbury
- 1102 N. Dixie Highway
- Cave City, Kentucky 42127