Job Description: Instructional Assistant/Teacher-in-ResidenceReporting to: School Administrator Location: Will report in person at school site upon hireABOUT US:
Bright Star Schools is a free, publicly funded and open enrollment non-profit organization with seven public charters in urban Los Angeles. Across all of our Bright Star sites, over 90% of our students are eligible for free and reduced lunch.
Our mission is to provide holistic, inclusive support for all students to achieve academic excellence and grow their unique talents so that they find joy in higher education, career, and life. Bright Star students will become leaders who act with integrity and champion equity to enrich our communities and the world. The framework to our success is our core operating principles, which are Integridad, Ubuntu, Kohyang (ê³í-¥), and Growth.
At Bright Star, we're committed to our educators' success. We provide over 260 hours of differentiated professional development each year and offer numerous leadership opportunities to support our teachers to become experts in their craft. We also offer small class sizes, comprehensive teacher support, and numerous collaboration opportunities across the organization and within school sites.
Bright Star Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
include the following, as well as, other duties and responsibilities that may be assigned.I. RESIDENCY RELATED SUPPORTS
II. STUDENT SUPERVISION AND INSTRUCTIONAL SUPPORT
- Fulfill all requirements of residency program (including instructional support, observation, feedback cycles, grading, etc.)
- Fulfill duties, as outlined by program, as instructional support to Mentor Teacher
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Orients and provides instructional assistance to individuals or small groups of students.
- Monitors student engagement in instructional activities
- Supports students to complete instruction by actively monitoring and supporting learning activities in person
- Supports instructional outcomes for students by assisting with checking for student understanding and facilitating tier 1 and tier 2 supports for students, by direction of the school administrators or teacher and in collaboration with the lead teacher
- Supervises students in all indoor and outdoor activities, ensuring a safe environment.
- Supervises students during breakfast, lunch and snack time.
- Tutors individuals and small groups of students in various subject areas.
- Works to support the teacher to meet students' learning needs in the classroom
- Assists in teaching children to become responsible for their decisions and actions.
- Assists teacher in establishing and maintaining a clean, safe and pleasant classroom and learning environment.
- Assists in preparing instructional materials.
- Assists in maintaining student records and files.
- Operates equipment such as copy machines, computers and audiovisual equipment.
- Guides children's behaviors in a positive way that teaches self-respect along with respect for others and the community around them.
- Encourages children to interact positively with other children and people around them.
- Provides a wide variety of age-appropriate activities that offers physical and emotional growth.
- Maintains open lines of communication with the teacher and classroom team to ensure the individual needs of all children are met.
- Provides support to others.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Must be organized, creative, independent, self-motivated, enthusiastic, dependable, detail-oriented and flexible in scheduling and prioritization, and driven by excellence.
- Must possess good communication skills to present facts and recommendations effectively in oral and written form, including accurate grammar and business correspondence knowledge.
- Interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective relationships; demonstrated ability to communicate in situations requiring tact and poise; skilled in confidentiality and discretion.
- Must present a neat, professional appearance.
- Must be able to adjust tasks and focus with composure, and in accordance with changing deadlines and prior.
- Given that this position requires on campus supervision and instructional support for students, the employee agrees to adhere to and carry out the district's COVID safety plan
- Participate in and support all COVID preventative PPE wearing, testing, and communication regarding safety related to the COVID-19 plan
- Bachelors Degree
- HOURS: 35-40 hours per week.; $19-$30 an hour
Placement at aBright Star SchoolBENEFITS:
Salary and Benefits:Salary:
$19.00-$30.00 per hourStatus:
Full-time, temporary through the 2023-24 school yearStart Date:
June 2023 or as soon after that date as possible depending on date of accepted offerBenefits:
For full time employees â€" Health, dental, vision, 403b matching, life insurance, short-term disability, paid sick leave and holidays.