Principal FLSA Status:
July 10, 2019Summary:
Under general direction, incumbent(s) ensures the school facility is clean, safe, and secure by performing semi-skilled trade functions and grounds work; handling vandalism, damage to school property, and safety hazards; and maintaining security. Incumbent(s) assists with the supervision of the custodial staff, provides input to the custodial budget at the school, and participates in the school crisis management team.Essential Functions:
- Receives work orders and facility operation needs. Verifies whether to send work order to the maintenance department or to perform semi-skilled trade functions. Performs minor repairs in areas such as carpentry, electrical, plumbing, roofing, HVAC, etc. Arranges for repairs with outside vendors.
- Performs grounds-work such as mowing lawns, trimming, and planting trees and shrubs. Maintains sprinkler systems, playground equipment, fall zones, and fencing at the site.
- Supervises custodial staff including determining workloads, establishing work schedules, monitoring work performance, performing on-going training functions, approving leave usage and resolving staff conflicts. Assists the Principal by providing input on hiring and evaluation of custodial and crossing guard staff.
- Maintains inventory and condition of equipment, tools and custodial supplies, and tracks warranties.
- Participates in the school crisis management team and handles vandalism, damage to school property, security issues, and safety hazards and reports issues to the Maintenance Department. Maintains notices and keeps logs of school inspections and reports results to the Maintenance Department. Assists the custodial staff with moving furniture and equipment and setting up special events.
- Performs crossing guard duties by providing safety of students and community at the crosswalk facility and school property and enforcing crosswalk functions and procedures. Completes District Crossing Guard Training Program when required.
- Provides input in regards to the budgetary needs of the school such as supplies, equipment, extended warranties, and overtime. Submits requisitions for supplies, tracks expenditures and logs receiver information authorizes payment to vendors, and reconciles invoices to the facility operation budget.
- Performs other duties as required.
To be eligible for this position, an applicant must meet the following required qualifications. Verification of these required qualifications is necessary.
- High School diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.) prior to being hired;
- Three years of custodial or maintenance experience;
- Must complete District Crossing Guard Training Program within 30 days from hire date and prior to starting crossing guard duties.
It is preferred that applicant possesses the following preferred qualifications; however, the following qualifications are not required to be eligible for this position.
- Associate's degree in general field;
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Three years of supervisory experience;
- Five years of custodial or maintenance experience.
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications for this job description are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Skills required, but not limited to, for this position include:
- Understanding Material Safety Data Sheets, labels, warnings, and safety precautions;
- Applying commercial grade cleaning chemicals;
- Using commercial grade cleaning equipment such as vacuums, auto-scrubbers, burnishes, extractors, etc;
- Reading instructions and giving directions in the use of commercial grade cleaning supplies;
- Identifying and proficiently using the tools and equipment necessary to maintain the facility operations;
- Comprehending and proficiently using grounds care equipment such as mowers, tillers, trimmers, blowers, etc.;
- Understanding and proficiently applying minor repair functions in areas such as carpentry, electrical, plumbing, roofing, HVAC, etc.;
- Scheduling and monitoring work performance;
- Setting up and maintaining records;
- Using computer software related programs;
- Engaging and encouraging communication skills while interacting with supervisors, staff, students, etc. to exchange information.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.Working Conditions:
The working environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to fumes or airborne particles and outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme cold; extreme heat; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Categories: Administrator > Director/Coordinator/Manager
Administrator > Facilities Contact Information
- Lydia Garcia
- 4650 W Sweetwater Ave
- Glendale, Arizona 85304