KIPP Texas Public Schools is a network of 59 public charter, open-enrollment, pre-k-12 schools educating nearly 34,000 students across Austin, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. Together with families and communities, our mission is to create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose -college, career, and beyond-so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Founded in Houston in 1994, and operating as KIPP Texas since 2018, our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in our classrooms, in our offices, and in the communities we serve is unwavering. We are looking to hire a diverse team of dynamic, collaborative, and dedicated individuals with an unyielding belief that every child will succeed. Join our Team and Family and champion equity, chase excellence, persist with purpose, bring joy, and help us rise together.
KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income communities.
You can see all our job opportunities at https://kipptexas.org/join-our-team/ .Job DescriptionROLE OVERVIEW:
KIPP Texas is seeking a Senior Director of Special Projects to join their team. In this role, the Senior Director will initially report to the Chief Operating Officer, transitioning to reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) in Fall 2023. The Senior Director will play a crucial role in supporting the Senior Leadership Team and collaborating closely with the CEO on various strategic initiatives that align with KIPP Texas' 2025 plan. With a focus on effective coordination and communication, the Senior Director will ensure the successful execution of KIPP Texas' strategy by facilitating collaboration among the statewide departments, the KIPP Texas Senior Leadership Team (T2), and the organization's senior-most leadership members (One Song Team). Moreover, the Senior Director will serve as the project manager for key initiatives across departments within KIPP Texas, while also spearheading state or regional-level strategic projects that contribute to the organization's mission and overall impact.
You know you are successful if:
- You communicate and embody KIPP Texas' culture and core values
- You increase and facilitate high-impact coordination among cross-functional teams, especially One Song, to support KIPP Texas goals and priorities
- You serve as a critical thought-partner to the CEO and T2 (senior leadership) team, while providing sound counsel and maintaining complete confidentiality;
- You support the CEO in developing critical communications, presentations, and correspondence; accompany the CEO to critical meetings and/or serve as representative at meetings or functions she is unable to attend;
- You provide coordination and oversight in the development and execution of strategic initiatives and special projects for the CEO, organization, and network;
- You demonstrate master-level facilitation skills, zooming in on the problem to solve, and zooming out to make connections for solutions with the appropriate stakeholder input.
- You facilitate effective leadership team meetings ensuring the team is focused on the most critical strategic and tactical issues, making decisions, monitoring organizational progress on key indicators, and cascading communications through the organization
QualificationsSkills and Qualifications
- Represent the interest of the organization and serves as a liaison for T2 via phone, email, and in-person with internal stakeholders
- Support senior leadership through progress monitoring of key performance indicators, prioritizing discussion, decision making and driving the strategy of the organization based on cross-functional connections to achieve specific outcomes on behalf of the organization in a timely and effective manner
- Support in setting the agenda/scope and sequence, prepare briefings, memos, or presentations to communicate findings as appropriate for T2 and One Song's engagement
- Engage with senior leadership, via participation in key team meetings in order to better understand org-wide needs, identify and mitigate impending risks and barriers to successful strategic project implementation and mitigate areas of growth
- Assisting in screening and leading the planning and execution of special projects; managing overall relationships to ensure alignment and successful execution
- Hold high standards for project management while empowering others to proactively and creatively problem-solve
- Thoughtfully considers the impact of decisions, and facilitates resolutions that protect the organization's interests and prioritizes student needs
- Helps convert new ideas to action; promote efficiency by assessing processes, determining gaps, and offering solutions; generate new ideas; serve as a thought partner to senior leadership
- Ownership of full-scale projects, as assigned by the CEO including process, facilitation and decision making
- Performing integrated analysis and strategic consultation on issues impacting the organization
- Demonstrated commitment to KIPP Texas mission
- Bachelor's degree required, Advanced degree preferred
- Minimum of 6 years of experience years of work experience with 5 years of supervisory and management experience, preferably in a large, dynamic, mission-driven organization
- Demonstrated commitment to Equity and Social Justice
- Demonstrated track record of setting ambitious goals and driving results
- Outstanding leadership skills; a team-builder capable of motivating and developing great teams; relentless pursuit of improvement and driving results through collective achievement
- Experience with educational organizations, non-profit management, and/or non-profit consulting, is preferred
- Relentless detail-orientation
- Ability to synthesize and draw connections
- Ability to analyze and provide insights on data; and, impact and influence
- Excellent stakeholder management skills, including the interpersonal, diplomatic, and communication skills necessary to build rapport easily with new contacts and cultivate relationships within the KIPP Texas community and on behalf of organization
- Excellent verbal/written communication and listening skills; communicates persuasively and articulately
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills
- Self-directed and results-oriented, demonstrating initiative and follow-through
- Strong process and project management skills. Ability to drive projects from inception to completion, facilitate discussions and engage others in collective problem-solving and collaboration
- Experience working in a geographically distributed organization
- Comfort with budgets and financial projections
- Ability to model KIPP's values at all times
- Experience dismantling systems of oppression for students with adults and in schools, generally
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
- Considerable time is spent at a desk using a computer/laptop
- Attending conferences or training sessions
- Maintain emotional control under stress
- Interpret policy, procedures, and data
- Communicate effectively (verbal and written)
- Typical office environment with frequent interruptions
Additional InformationCompensation and Benefits
- Ability to travel to various locations, travel time approximately 25% - 40%
As a full-time KIPP Texas employee you are eligible to participate in all KIPP Texas' benefit plans. KIPP Texas offers a robust variety of benefits choices with competitive rates, including medical, dental, and vision options, life insurance, and disability plans.
KIPP provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration of race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or disability.