At Rocketship Public Schools, we believe in the infinite possibility of human potential.
We believe that every student deserves the right to dream, to discover, and to develop their unique potential. And it is our responsibility and our privilege to unleash the potential inside every Rocketeer we serve. Our non-profit network of public elementary charter schools propels student achievement, develops exceptional educators, and partners with parents who enable high-quality public schools to thrive in their community. We are a collective of parents, teachers, leaders, and students working together to transform the future for underserved communities across our country. At Rocketship Public Schools, we are unleashing potential.
We are seeking to add an attorney to our small in-house legal team to support our network of public charter elementary schools and related nonprofits. The ideal candidate will have at least five (5) years of experience as a practicing attorney, preferably with some history and background of corporate law firm training and experience in a combination of a few of the following substantive areas of law practice including employment and labor, corporate and tax data privacy, real estate financing, and education law. A successful candidate should be comfortable with a high volume of inquiries, contracts, and quick turnarounds, and is able to demonstrate strong collaborative, team-building skills, working well with others, in support of the larger organization and regional teams.
Candidates will also be considered at the Senior level depending on experience. Essential Functions:
* Providing practical advice and guidance to internal clients and stakeholders and developing solutions to issues while effectively managing legal and practical business considerations
* Advising internal teams on the resolution of legal issues that arise at Rocketship schools across jurisdictions
* Collaborating with Human Resources and other teams to address legal issues related to labor and employment
* Assisting with other corporate matters including real estate financing and governance
* Advising on the key legal risks of any given proposed situation, project, or contract, including the legal, privacy, or regulatory issues
* Coordinating with cross-functional teams (e.g., Compliance and Governance, IT/Data Privacy, and Information Security) in order to provide a comprehensive risk assessment and risk management analysis
* Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating contracts with third parties (including partnership agreements, Master Service Agreements, and Memoranda of Understanding)
* Interpreting and explaining contract terms and conditions for internal clients and stakeholders
* Confirming that contracts are compliant with various policies, MOU obligations, and maintaining and communicating a working understanding of the impact of any changes in RSED's policies, organizational structure, and procedures
* Effectively managing workflow, including multiple projects, in a proactive and highly responsive manner
* Performs other related duties as assignedQualifications:
* J.D. from an accredited law school, licensed to practice in the US, preferably in Tennessee, the District of Columbia, Wisconsin, Texas, and/or California
* Five (5) or more years of law practice experience
* Significant experience drafting, reviewing, and negotiating contracts in procurement and sales, commercial agreements, vendor agreements, NDAs, and 3rd party academic research collaborations and studies, and other agreements and legal documents related to the k12 education field
* Particular attention to detail, excellent legal research and writing, communication, and project management skills
* Ability to follow instructions while employing critical thinking skills, and asking relevant questions when clarification is required to improve the work
* Problem-solving skills that demonstrate the ability to critically evaluate and analyze issues and recommend well-thought-out and creative solutions
* Ability to discern and use good judgment knowing when to raise issues with the team or subject matter experts
* Preferred - Experience with a charter school, k12 education, employment, and labor, corporate and tax, data privacy, and real estate finance substantive content areas
* Experience with CLM, such as Ironclad, is a plusCOVID-19:
Rocketship is committed to the health and safety of our Rocketeers and complies with federal and state vaccine guidelines. For this reason, Rocketship is requiring employees in most regions, including National, California, District of Columbia, and Wisconsin employees, to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Tennessee and Texas regions are not included in this requirement. Under this requirement, applicable employees are subject to vaccination as a condition of employment or subject to religious or medical exemptions. Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and communicate with both adults and children. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally climb ladders. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to high. Compensation:
Commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus excellent health and wellness benefits, 403b retirement plan, flexible spending account (FSA), and generous paid time off.
Rocketship Public Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Rocketship Public Schools complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Rocketship Public Schools expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Rocketship Public Schools' employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated. Click here for our Sexual Harassment Policy
. For questions, concerns, or complaints, please contact Human Resources.