KIPP Texas Public Schools is a network of 59 public charter, open-enrollment, pre-k-12 schools educating nearly 34,000 students across Austin, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. Together with families and communities, our mission is to create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose -college, career, and beyond-so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Founded in Houston in 1994, and operating as KIPP Texas since 2018, our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in our classrooms, in our offices, and in the communities we serve is unwavering. We are looking to hire a diverse team of dynamic, collaborative, and dedicated individuals with an unyielding belief that every child will succeed. Join our Team and Family and champion equity, chase excellence, persist with purpose, bring joy, and help us rise together.
KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income communities.
You can see all our job opportunities at https://kipptexas.org/join-our-team/ .Job DescriptionThe Opportunity
The Custodian is responsible for performing housekeeping, general cleaning, and other assigned tasks as required to maintain the cleanliness and safety of the school building and grounds. As a key member of the statewide Facilities team, the Custodian will report to the Campus Facilities Manager. This position is a full time position with a requirement to work the occasional night/weekend. This role furthers the mission of KIPP by providing a clean, maintained and safe learning environment for students and faculty. Key Responsibilities
- Open facilities for use by the school. When applicable unlock doors, disable alarm system, ensure that the air conditioning/heater turns on, turn on lights, perform a quick safety inspection
- Maintain a safe working environment for KIPP Texas students and faculty
- Learn building systems such as the fire alarm, burglar, main shut off and electrical breaker systems
- Perform general cleaning duties including sweeping and mopping floors, cleaning entrance windows, cleaning and restocking all student and faculty restrooms, cleaning drinking fountains and white boards, removing trash, etc.
- Pick up trash on and around school grounds including athletic fields
- Respond to emergency cleanups of various substances
- Operate, clean and maintain equipment (mops, buckets, autoscrubber, etc)
- Daily laundry duties (towels, mops, etc)
- Perform floor work to include stripping and waxing floors, sealing floors, extracting stains from carpets, etc
- Perform small handyman duties (replace light bulbs, clean inside air filters, paint etc)
- Assist with the cleaning of campus vehicle fleet, if applicable
- Move and rearrange furniture & assist with breakfast/lunch set ups
- Formally check-in weekly with Supervisor(s) regarding supply orders, reporting issues in cleaning or known equipment failures
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned and requested by the Supervisor(s)
- Attend meetings, professional development meetings and training session "Continuous Learning"
Additional InformationCompensation and Benefits
- Basic reading and writing; plus 0-2 years of housekeeping/janitorial experience, preferably in a school setting
- Driven by a determination to make the campus clean
- Extreme flexibility, with a strong work ethic and an entrepreneurial spirit to accommodate multiple, changing priorities
- Good manual dexterity
- Detail-oriented and self-directed
- Work with a sense of urgency.
- Ability to manage several tasks at once
- Ability to identify problems and proactively find solutions
- Commitment to tasks at hand
- Strong ethics and a determination to make the campus operate safely, efficiently, and effectively
- Must be customer focused
- Resourceful, thrifty attitude
- Willingness to learn
- Ability to lift and carry 20-50 lbs
- Proven written and verbal communication skills
- Basic computer skills preferred
- Fluent English preferred; not required
As a full-time KIPP Texas employee you are eligible to participate in all KIPP Texas' benefit plans. KIPP Texas offers a robust variety of benefits choices with competitive rates, including medical, dental, and vision options, life insurance, and disability plans.
KIPP provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration of race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or disability.