An Invitation to Apply for the Position of
Director of Operations
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School
Brooklyn, New York
About Coney Island Prep
Coney Island Prep is a college preparatory public charter school in Brooklyn, New York. Merging growth, performance and commitment, the Coney Island Prep community takes its responsibility to prepare students for the college and career of their choice very seriously. Professionals balance their sense of ownership and responsibility with humility and levity and are supported every step of the way.
Coney Island Prep currently serves over 1,000 scholars across its three schools, including 300 scholars in kindergarten – fourth grade at the elementary school; 360 scholars in fifth – eighth grades at the middle school; and 350 scholars in ninth-twelfth grade at the high school. The mission of Coney Island Prep is to prepare every student to succeed in the college and career of their choice. We achieve success through a rigorous academic program in a supportive and structured school community.
There is no more urgent task than to educate students from low-income backgrounds. So we hire professionals who are committed to the core. It’s high-energy, fast-paced, tiring and sometimes all-consuming. But we wouldn’t have it any other way. And neither would you. You own your work and when you reach your goals, you reach higher. Our leaders work incredibly hard, and are inspired by the urgency of what we do. We need leaders who aren’t afraid to ask for help, feedback, and support. They’re driven by personal responsibility, data, and results, and they’re not above doing whatever’s asked. They make friends at work, smile through hectic days, and add a little levity along the way.
The Director of Operations will design, implement, and manage clear systems, so that Coney Island Prep runs smoothly on a day-to-day basis. The school’s mission drives every decision that is made, and the school’s operations are designed to support an academic program of uncompromising excellence. The Director of Operations serves as a co-leader with the Principal, ensuring he/she and the classroom teachers can focus on ways they can improve students’ academic experiences, rather than on all else that is required to keep the school running. He or she will be primarily responsible for ensuring that programmatic guidelines for reporting and implementation are properly followed. The Director of Operations will manage the Academic Operations Manager, Operations Manager, and the Operations Coordinator. The Director of Operations will be hired by and will report to the Chief Operating Officer.
Qualifications, Mindset, and Experience
- Passionate and completely dedicated to Coney Island Prep’s mission and a steadfast belief that all students deserve preparation for the college of their choice
- Unwavering belief that all students can achieve at the highest academic levels
- Results-driven, with commitment to operational excellence and ownership of outcomes
- At least two years of operations management experience, preferably in a school setting
- Detail and solutions oriented
- Maintains professionalism through excellent organizational skills, timeliness, regular communication, and meeting deadlines
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, delegate and lead by example
- Cultural competencies to work in low-income communities and a willingness to examine own biases across lines of sameness and difference
- Ambition and desire to grow as a leader
- An entrepreneurial spirit, who embraces the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in a start-up
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Eagerness to work collaboratively as part of a team
- A strong track record of building positive relationships across various stakeholder groups demonstrating a value towards diversity and inclusivity
- School Leadership
- Works alongside the Principal and with the support of the Chief Operating Officer to:
- Track and evaluate school performance, ensuring the use of data in school-wide decision-making
- Develop, refine, and/or codify school policies, systems, and procedures
- Ensure smooth operations, identify needs, and facilitate the flow of information
- Support change management, engage in difficult conversations, and promote a positive staff culture
- Operations Team Management
- Manages the school-based operations team and ensures each individual and the team as a whole are performing at the highest possible level.
- Instills a team mentality and maintains a focus on making the instructional environment and practices better and easier for scholars, families and staff.
- School-Based Operations
- Employs all available resources to ensure the following school responsibilities are handled efficiently and with a fine attention to detail:
- Student Recruitment: Manages student recruitment, admissions applications, registration, and waitlist and engages new families in school activities.
- External Relations: Acts as point person in hosting visitors for school tours and for community presentations. Ensures family communication is clear and consistent with a high-level of professionalism.
- Facilities: Manages and oversees the school's facility maintenance, design and strategic development.
- Finance and Purchasing: Oversees the school's budget and finances; oversees school-based purchasing and ensures adherence to school's fiscal policy and procedures.
- School-Wide Systems and Logistics: Develops and holds staff accountable to meeting expectations for school wide systems (arrival, dismissal, lunch). Plans and coordinates logistics for school-based events, and other logistically complex activities and events, including school-wide family events, field trips, showcases and ceremonies. Oversees food services, transportation, health and safety.
- Technology: Oversees the strategic procurement and maintenance of staff and scholar technology equipment in partnership with the Chief Operating Officer.
- Student Information and Reporting: Oversees the integrity of the school's student information system, data analysis and reporting.
- Academic Data and Programmatic Support: Oversees collection of and analysis of student data and other key academic systems which support student learning
- Compliance: Works with the Chief Operating Officer and/or HR Manager to ensure school-wide compliance with health and safety laws, teacher certification and fingerprinting, city and state education mandates, and all federal and state workplace regulations.
Benefits and Compensation
- Employees at Coney Island Prep are provided with a generous salary and an annual retention bonus after their first year.
- As a regular full time employee of Coney Island Prep, you will be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as a 403(b) retirement benefit package with match and Paid Family Leave.
- Staff are provided with a MacBook Air and access to all the necessary technology and resources needed to succeed in their role.
Interested applicants should go to http://coneyislandprep.org/careers/career-opportunities to apply for available jobs. Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, citizenship or disability. We want Coney Island Prep to be a place where students and staff of all backgrounds, experiences, and identities feel as though they feel valued and can excel.