An Invitation To Apply for the Position of
High School Vice Principal of Instruction
At Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School
Brooklyn, New York
About Coney Island Prep
Coney Island Prep is a college preparatory public charter school in Brooklyn, New York. Merging growth, performance and commitment, the Coney Island Prep community takes its responsibility to prepare students for the college and career of their choice very seriously. Professionals balance their sense of ownership and responsibility with humility and levity and are supported every step of the way.
Coney Island Prep currently serves over 1,000 scholars across its three schools, including 300 scholars in kindergarten – fourth grade at the elementary school; 360 scholars in fifth – eighth grades at the middle school; and 350 scholars in ninth-twelfth grade at the high school. The mission of Coney Island Prep is to prepare every student to succeed in the college and career of their choice. We achieve success through a rigorous academic program in a supportive and structured school community.
There is no more urgent task than to educate students from low-income backgrounds. So we hire professionals who are committed to the core. It’s high-energy, fast-paced, tiring and sometimes all-consuming. But we wouldn’t have it any other way. And neither would you. You own your work and when you reach your goals, you reach higher. Our leaders work incredibly hard, and are inspired by the urgency of what we do. We need leaders who aren’t afraid to ask for help, feedback, and support. They’re driven by personal responsibility, data, and results, and they’re not above doing whatever’s asked. They make friends at work, smile through hectic days, and add a little levity along the way.
What We Have to Offer
There are plenty of ways you can make an impact. And our team is all in. You have the opportunity to work with students, and there’s always someone who’s got your back from coaching you through a bad day to helping you grow professionally. While every educational setting is ever-changing and the day-to-day of school leadership comes with its unique challenges, with the support of the Principal and team of supporting leaders, you are sure to have the skills, resources and support needed to get the job done. The Vice Principal is responsible for supporting and developing teachers in order to achieve exceptional student academic achievements.
Mindsets and Experience
- Passion for education and a dedication to Coney Island Prep’s mission.
- Steadfast belief that all students can achieve at the highest academic levels and deserve an opportunity to succeed in the college and career of their choice.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least six years of teaching experience required.
- At least two years of school leadership experience preferred.
- Proven track record of leading students to high academic achievement
- Cultural competencies to work in low-income communities and a willingness to examine own biases across lines of sameness and difference.
- Maintains professionalism through excellent organizational skills, consistent communication, and timeliness.
- Models humility by being self reflective and open to feedback, adjusting behavior and systems accordingly; seek out opportunities to collaborate with others with the ambition and desire to grow one’s professional practice.
- An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in school leadership.
- A positive, solutions-oriented attitude and drive for excellence.
- Eagerness to work collaboratively as part of a team.
- A strong track record of building positive relationships across various stakeholder groups demonstrating a value towards diversity and inclusivity.
- Support a culture of high academic and behavioral expectations.
- Experience driving and establishing school wide systems to maintain excellent school culture and academic results.
- Drive and support the implementation of Coney Island Prep’s vision and guiding principles to ensure a positive, achievement-focused school culture among teachers, staff and students.
- Reinforce the mission of the school with staff and inspire them to act on the mission every single day; exude urgency, excellence, and optimism; use the mission as a litmus test for school-based decisions.
- Exercise strong decision making and prioritization skills.
- Work cohesively with leadership team members to achieve specific outcomes of your role, while supporting others in meeting their outcomes. Assume responsibility in ensuring the leadership team runs smoothly and efficiently.
- Assist in the selection and performance management of academic staff.
- Hold staff accountable for professional expectations and to staff Six Pillars.
- Actively participate in School Leader Development meetings, engaging in discussion, sharing best practices, and participating fully at all times.
- Participate in regular school leadership team meetings and weekly 1:1s with Principal. Regularly collaborate with the Vice Principal of Culture/Dean of Culture.
- Respond to requests and work with network staff to ensure compliance with CIP policies and procedures.
Teacher and Leader Coaching
- Manage, coach, evaluate, and develop a cohort of teachers to ensure excellence in teaching practices through observations and debriefs, professional development, modeling, and collaborative planning. Hold teachers accountable for implementation of research-based curriculum ensuring rigorous instruction that prepares students daily for college.
- Observe lessons and provide on-going, specific, actionable, positive and constructive feedback that ensures teachers can improve instruction.When necessary, model outstanding instruction for teachers
- Analyze and monitor academic performance data regularly to establish a data-driven culture. Track progress toward meeting or exceeding student achievement goals. Through data debriefs with teachers, ensure student performance and mastery of standards drives instructional decisions.
- With teachers, devise and monitor high-impact support plans for struggling students.
- Build and provide accountability to academic systems.
- When appropriate, collaborate with Dean of College to ensure that academic program prepares all students to secure acceptance to at least two colleges or universities by their graduation.
- Collaborate with Special Education Coordinator to ensure student needs are met daily and best practices for students with special needs are implemented daily by teachers.
High-Quality Professional Development
- Design and run high-quality professional development sessions.
- Work with each team member to set clear, measurable, outcome-oriented academic goals for the year and plan professional development opportunities around those academic goals.
- Establish and maintain high standards for student behavior, performance, and attendance.
- Serve as a model for effective classroom management and effective relationship building with students, staff, and families to impact student achievement and behavior.
- Ensure that the learning environment and classroom instruction maximize student learning.
- Partner with Vice Principal of Culture or Deans of Student Culture to support efforts in character development and school culture.
Curriculum and Assessment
- Research, design, and/or supplement the academic curriculum for all subjects and grades based on successful models and approaches
- When necessary, align academic curriculum with state standards and other scientifically-based benchmarks;
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Work across difference to build structures and systems to create equitable and inclusive school environment for students, parents, and staff. Ensure structures and practices exemplify cultural competence.
- Demonstrate a personal and professional value for DEI work.
- Develop positive relationships with community stakeholders.
Benefits and Compensation
- Employees at Coney Island Prep are provided with a generous salary and an annual retention bonus after their first year.
- As a regular full time employee of Coney Island Prep, you will be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as a 403(b) retirement benefit package with match and Paid Family Leave.
- Staff are provided with a MacBook Air and access to all the necessary technology and resources needed to succeed in their role.
Flexible (April-July 2019)
Interested applicants should go to http://coneyislandprep.org/careers/career-opportunities to apply for available jobs. Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, citizenship or disability. We want Coney Island Prep to be a place where students and staff of all backgrounds, experiences, and identities feel as though they feel valued and can excel.