Rise Kohyang Middle School (RKMS), located in Koreatown, Los Angeles, is searching for a full-time in-house Substitute Teacher/Administrative Support for the 23-24 school year.Hiring Process:Step 1
: Submit Application
Applications should include the information listed below. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. All applications should be submitted via the â€JOIN OUR TEAMâ€ section at www.brightstarschools.org.Completed applications include:
- Cover letter
- Two letters of recommendation (optional)
- Three professional references
: Interview w/ member of Talent TeamStep 3
: School Site Interview with RKMS AP of Instruction
If accepted and given an offer, applicants must complete a live scan and TB test clearance. Job Description: Middle School Substitute TeacherReporting to: Assistant Principal of Instruction
ABOUT US: Bright Star Schools is a free, publicly funded and open enrollment non-profit organization with nine public charters in urban Los Angeles. Across all of our Bright Star sites, over 90% of our students are eligible for free and reduced lunch. Our mission is to provide holistic, inclusive support for all students to achieve academic excellence and grow their unique talents so that they find joy in higher education, career, and life. Bright Star students will become leaders who act with integrity and champion equity to enrich our communities and the world. The framework to our success is our core operating principles, which are Integridad, Ubuntu, Kohyang (â€<ê³í-¥)â€<, and Growth.
Bright Star Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
:Whole School Responsibilities
- Serves as the primary substitute for all teachers at the school site.
- Follows classroom systems/procedures established by the classroom teacher, and manages student behavior in alignment with schoolwide practices to ensure all students are fully engaged in learning.
- Uphold Bright Star Schools' mission and values
- Demonstrate genuine care for all students
- Embrace existing school-wide management systems and promote high standards of behavior
- Collaborate with school leaders, providing input to improve Bright Star programs
- Actively participate in professional development sessions
- Communicate professionally with peers, supervisors, parents, and students
- Commit to a longer school day and calendar year
- Adhere to Bright Star's professional attire guidelines
- Supervise bathroom breaks/lunch
- Uphold attendance procedures each period using School Information Systems (SIS)
- Enthusiastically participate in school-wide culture events (i.e., Songfest, academic assemblies, and Field Day)
- Perform other duties as assigned
ï»¿When not serving as a classroom substitute:
- Adhere to Bright Star curriculum maps and guidelines
- Create weekly lesson plans/overviews
- Plan rigorous lessons aligned to the California State and/or California Common Core standards
- Differentiate lesson plans for a variety of learners (kinesthetic, gifted students, English Language Learners, and/or students with IEPs, etc.)
- Implement feedback from administrator regarding lesson plans and/or execution
- Establish and maintain positive classroom environment
- Implement Bright Star's Expected School Learning Results
- Support instruction with school-wide supplemental programs (i.e., Reading Counts/Study Island)
- Communicate with families regarding student academics and behavior
- Collaborate with Special Education Team and ELD Teacher
- Use planning periods for the advancement of student academics
- Tutor students in need of remediation
- Perform other adjunct duties
Qualifications & Experience:
- Support in the collection and maintenance of applications for admission, cumulative records, forms, and other documents; secure missing forms; and ensuring the confidentiality of all student records and information.
- Support in entering student enrollment data and update all student records, including student registration and attendance, using the school's student management software.
- Ensure that the school's physical environment is at all times neat and orderly, including but not limited to the reception/administrative area, waiting area, copier room, supplies closet, records room, and teacher center.
- Translate as needed in oral and/or written form.
- Support student in-school suspension days as the teacher on record.
- Support with Independent Study as needed.
- Perform all duties designated by the Assistant Principal of Instruction for the school's successful functioning.
- Plan and teach a Small Group Instruction group using i-Ready lessons
- Support proctoring testing (ELPAC, CAASPP, iReady)
- Support in the ELD/Resource Lab classes
- Supervision support (before/after school, lunch, breaks)
- Other duties as requested by supervisor
- Bachelor's degree
- CA 30-Day Emergency Substitute Credential required
- Two years of urban teaching experience preferred
- Bilingual in Spanish desirable
- Possession of either Bilingual, Cross-Cultural, Language and Academic Development (BCLAD) certificate; Cross-Cultural, Language and Academic Development (CLAD) certificate; Bilingual Certificate of Competence (BCC); or Language Development Specialist (LDS) certificate desirable
BenefitsSalary and Benefits:Salary
- Belief that every child is deserving an excellent education which prepares him/her for college and life beyond
- Demonstrated ability to teach whole child in an inclusive setting using modifications and accommodations
- Willingness to receive feedback, engage in frequent dialogue and ability to self-reflect
- Life-long learner
- Belief in data-driven instruction
- Firm, kind approach to managing student behavior
- Technologically competent
- Entrepreneurial spirit and creative problem solver
- Sense of humor and love of teaching
: $28 hourlyStatus
: Full Time Start Date:
An exceptional candidate will assume the role no later than October 2023. Location
: Los Angeles, CABenefits
: Health, dental, vision, STRS retirement matching, life insurance, short-term disability, optional 403b plan, sick and vacation paid time off, and holidays. Other Benefits:
- Instructional Leaders as Principals
- School Counselors to support with family engagement and communication