METHUEN PUBLIC SCHOOLS
VACANCY NOTICE Title: PAVE TeacherSchool: Methuen High SchoolAnticipated Opening for the 2020/2021 School Year- This position is contingent upon sufficient funding and enrollmentPOSITION SUMMARY:
To provide direct instruction to students with Individual Education Programs (IEPs) in grades 9-12 in order to deliver Methuen Public Schools high expectations for achievement, equal access to high levels of instruction, the achievement of academic proficiency for all students, and the closing of the achievement gap among subgroups within the schools. OUR MISSION:
Methuen Public Schools enrolls approximately 7000 in a total of five schools. Methuen Public Schools has four PK-8 schools: the Comprehensive Grammar School, the Marsh Grammar School, the Tenney Grammar School, the Timony Grammar School, and one comprehensive high school: Methuen High School. We are a diverse sub-urban/urban community and designated a Gateway City. Our schools celebrate diversity and acceptance of students and families from differing backgrounds. We are committed to setting high expectations of all students and faculty in Methuen Public Schools. Methuen Public Schools students will achieve academic, social-emotional, and civic success. They will attain technological, cultural, and social knowledge to allow them to succeed in college and careers. Students will inspire the community through citizenship, leadership, and their commitment to lifelong learning. CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Valid Massachusetts Teaching license in Moderate Disabilities 5-12 with SEI Endorsement is required. Additional content area license is encouraged. TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
At least a Bachelor's Degree in the area of major study. Master's degree preferred.
Bilingual preferred - Primary languages spoken in the community are: English, Spanish, Arabic, and French. SKILLS AND ABILITY:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Communicate clearly and concisely both in oral and written form;
- Use evidence-based research practices and data to most effectively guide increasing student achievement using proactive and solution-focused approaches to meeting student needs.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, parents, staff and the community
- Work independently, prioritize tasks and manage several projects simultaneously
- Perform duties with awareness of all district requirements, state and federal laws, and Methuen School policies (as long as the policies do not conflict with the Methuen Educators Association (Unit A) Contract)
- Work with students of diverse backgrounds with diverse needs in an equitable and inclusive manner
- Maintain appropriate confidential records
- React professionally and objectively to unpredictable situations (e.g. environmental changes, behavior/aggression, seizure activity, etc.)
- Operate and/or acquire skills to operate a computer and related software including but not limited to Google and use instructional technology appropriately and work with students to facilitate their use of instructional technology
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Strong collaborative, teaching, coaching and leadership skills to support student programming and work in a team setting.
- Strong organizational skills to balance the demands of a high demand position.
- Knowledge of specialized content area as well as any related laws and procedures.
- Ability to plan and implement lessons based on district and school objectives and the needs and abilities of students to whom assigned
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer, as the needs of the employer and the requirements of the job change.
- Plans a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of students.
- Creates a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of students.
- Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units, projects, in order to communicate these objectives to students.
- Employs best instructional methods (i.e.Universal Design for Learning) and materials that are most appropriate for meeting stated objectives.
- Expected to work with students identified by the evaluation team as having special needs.
- Develop, in coordination with the evaluation team, and implement individualized educational plans for the students approved to receive special needs services
- Provide diagnostic testing of students referred
- Submit written forms, time logs, data of students and reports required by the SEA
- Participate in all special education staff meetings, in-service training and school programs.
- Communicates with colleagues, students, and or parents on a regular basis.
- Adheres to all policies and/or rules governing student life and conduct, and for the classroom develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure, and maintains order in the classroom.
- Plans and supervises purposeful assignments for teacher aide(s) and or volunteer(s).
- Attends staff meetings and serves on staff and or school committees.
- Participate in staff development programs.
Building Principal (and/or Special Education Administrator). The performance of this job will be evaluated as per the Methuen Education Association (Unit A) Contract. TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Covered under Methuen Education Association (Unit A) Contract.
Please note that the District reserves the right to transfer all personnel among buildings on an as needed basis to serve the best interests of all students as long as this does not conflict with the Methuen Education Association (Unit A) Contract. HELPFUL LINKS: Methuen Education Association Contract Only online applications will be accepted. Methuen Public Schools is committed to establishing a diverse, inclusive, and culturally responsive environment focused on teaching and learning. A team reflecting diversity of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, and veteran status allows us to serve our students better. We welcome all qualified applicants. Equal Opportunity Employer
Methuen Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Colleen McCarthy, HR Director
- 10 Ditson Place
- Methuen, Massachusetts 01844