MISSION: The Texas Education Agency (TEA) will improve outcomes for all public-school students in the state by providing leadership, guidance, and support to school systems.
POSITION OVERVIEW: The Texas Education Agency is seeking a talented, experienced, highly motivated contract enthusiast to join a team of professionals committed to improving educational outcomes for all public-school students in the state. This position is responsible for development and drafting of complex agency contracts, providing best value to the State of Texas, and ensuring compliance with applicable state and federal regulations and statutes.
Please note that a resume and tailored cover letter describing your experience and interest in TEA is required for this position. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Develop and draft contracts, amendments, purchase orders and other procurement related documents.
- Work with and coordinate communications with internal and external stakeholders.
- Facilitate and attend meetings with both vendors and TEA staff.
- Negotiate contract terms to ensure best value for the State of Texas.
- Generate reports using various programs and applications.
Education: Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university. Major coursework in business administration, finance, law, or closely related fields is preferred.
Experience: At least three (3) years of experience in business, finance, accounting, contracts, purchasing or a related field.
- A Juris Doctorate (JD) degree is highly preferred.
- Certification as a Certified Texas Contract Developer (CTCD) must be obtained within six (6) months of hire.
- Prior experience with federal, state or local government procurement preferred.
- Experience with State of Texas contract and procurement laws, managing state or federal funds, and with complex billing systems is preferred.
- Ability to quickly master and apply new information, tools, and techniques.
- Skilled in tracking and prioritizing activities to meet deadlines while working well with a broad variety of people.
- Comfortable working independently and taking initiative when appropriate in a fast-paced environment while multi-tasking and producing high-quality work.
- Must exercise discretion and sound judgment and be capable of handling sensitive materials and maintaining confidentiality.
- Ability to correctly interpret complex laws, regulations, guidelines, agreements, and follow policies and procedures.
- Highly organized; ability to manage multiple projects at once and meet deadlines
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to break down complex information into comprehensive parts, ask questions, synthesize and analyze
- Ability to use data to improve processes and outcomes.
- A strong customer-service mindset with a focus on engaging both internal and external stakeholders
- Clear and concise written and oral communication skills.
- A desire to self-reflect, give/receive feedback and continuously improve.
- Familiarity with PeopleSoft products, TxSmartBuy and Oracle Financial Systems (CAPPS) highly preferred.
- Skilled with Microsoft Office Excel, Word, PowerPoint, TCAPPS, and SmartSheet.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or veteran status, unless an applicant is entitled to the veteran’s preference.
Additional Military Crosswalk (occupational specialty code) information can be accessed here.
This position requires the applicant to meet Agency standards and criteria which may include passing a pre-employment criminal background check, prior to being offered employment by the Agency.
No phone calls or emails, please. Due to the high volume of applications, we do not accept telephone calls and cannot reply to all email inquiries. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.