High School Principal
JOB TITLE: High School Principal
REPORTS TO: Superintendent of Schools
LOCATION: Central Administration
Our high school is interested in hiring an experienced Principal to manage school operations and provide strong instructional leadership to our teachers and staff members. The ideal candidate will be active in the community and make themselves available for parent consultations, taking parent suggestions and discussing the educational needs of individual students. Our Principal will also be responsible for arranging major and minor building maintenance programs, while ensuring that every teacher has the resources they need to meet the state's curriculum requirements. Our Principal must have demonstrated evidence of school/program transformation and be highly adept in strategic planning. Finally, our Principal serves as the school and educational leader responsible for development, implementation, supervision, and evaluation of a comprehensive program of educational and student services. Administers the program in accordance with board policies, statutory requirements, administrative rules and regulations, and consistent with collective bargaining agreements. Serves as an advocate for the staff, school, and school community as appropriate.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Master's Degree in Teaching from an accredited college or university
- Valid current Michigan Administrative credentials.
- Five (5) successful years of teaching experience. This requires evaluation rating of Effective/Highly Effective for the last 3 years of the assignment.
- Prior successful experience as secondary administrator as demonstrated through Effective/Highly Effective evaluation on the last 3 years of assignment.
- Prior experience working in an urban setting with students who are at-risk.
- Ability to create a safe, orderly, positive school climate for students and staff.
- Ability to foster growth, creativity, and flexibility using a variety of techniques.
- Ability to facilitate resolution of complex interpersonal issues.
- Demonstrate successful experience in shared decision making, program development, staff supervision and evaluation.
- Knowledge and skill in fiscal management, staff development, and human relations.
- Ability to work with District initiative around the State Standards and the progress monitoring assessments.
- Ability to evaluate teachers using the district adopted framework.
- Knowledge and demonstrative skills in the use of technology for teaching and learning.
- Managerial skill in planning, organizing, delegating, and listening.
- Ability to gain and demonstrate knowledge of District policy and State laws that govern budget procedures and expenditures.
- Knowledge about laws, rules and regulations governing the operation of public schools, including school reform legislation.
- Knowledge of innovations in education; alternative instructional strategies, alternative assessment methods; blended instructional support; in-class support for special needs students, instruction based on student performance and decision making, peer tutoring, cooperative learning.
- Qualified (or be willing to qualify) to operate district-owned vehicles to transport students to and from school activities; however, ADA/504 accommodations will be considered.
- Ability to react in emergency situations to include intervening and, as necessary, consistent with District policy, restraining students
Preferred Qualifications : Ph.D or Ed.D. in Supervision and Instruction or related field
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Creating a school culture that promotes the ongoing improvement of learning and teaching for students and staff: Develops and sustains focus on a shared mission and clear vision for improvement of learning and teaching. Engages stakeholders in the essential conversations for ongoing improvement. Facilitates collaborative processes with stakeholders leading toward continuous improvement. Creates opportunities for shared leadership within the school.Providing for school safety: Effectively engages the entire community to develop a more nuanced/expanded understanding of what it means to be safe. Provides for the physical, intellectual, and emotional safety in order for effective teaching and learning to take place.Leads the development, implementation and evaluation of a data-driven plan for increasing student achievement, including the use of multiple student data elements: Recognizes and seeks out multiple data sources. Analyzes and interprets multiple data sources to inform school-level improvement efforts. Implements data driven plan for improved teaching and learning. Assists staff in using data to guide, modify and improve classroom teaching and learning.Assisting instructional staff with alignment of curriculum, instruction and assessment with state and local district learning goals: Provides leadership that ensures fidelity to the prescribed curricula that is in alignment to state and local district learning goals. Ensures alignment and implementation of best instructional practices to state and district learning goals. Provides that assessment practices are aligned with both curriculum and instruction.Monitoring, assisting, and evaluating effective instruction and assessment practices: An effective leader is knowledgeable about and deeply involved in the design and implementation of the instructional program; prioritizes effective teaching by visiting classrooms regularly and working with teachers on instructional issues. Develops a working knowledge and ability to lead district initiatives. Participates in professional development regarding district initiatives. Monitors instruction and assessment practices ensuring alignment with the School Improvement Plan. Assists staff in developing required student growth plan and identifying valid, reliable sources of evidence to effectiveness. Assists staff in implementing effective instruction and assessment practices. Reliably and validly evaluates staff in effective instruction and assessment practices.Managing both staff and fiscal resources to support student achievement and legal responsibilities: Manages human and fiscal resources in transparent ways such that the capacity of the school community to make complicated decisions grows. The management of hiring, assignments, evaluations, ongoing professional development and the fulfillment of legal responsibilities is required. Decisions are made about resources that result in improved teaching and learning.Partnering with the school community to promote student learning: Understands the greater community and works to establish a genuine partnership model between home and school. Aligns school and community efforts and values as a work in progress that must be nurtured, sustained, and monitored, and is able to influence others to adopt the same understanding. Community engagement decisions are made that result in improved teaching and learning.Demonstrating commitment to closing the achievement gap: Uses evidence to support student improvement. Identifies barriers to achievement and knows how to close resulting gaps. Demonstrates a commitment to close the achievement gap. Provides evidence of growth in student learning.Leadership and Governance:
Consistently demonstrates high moral, ethical, and professional standards of performance and personal integrity, which includes addressing problems and issues in an open, honest, and timely manner. Ensures proper conduct which goes beyond the practice of avoiding what is wrong and instead focusing on choosing to do what is right. Serves as a champion for the school and the district, avoiding actual or perceived behavior personally or among the staff which may cast a negative impression on the school, the District, or the Board.Models and promotes trust, enthusiasm, rapport, respect and openness among faculty, staff, students, and members of the community. Celebrates successes and recognizes the achievements of others.Creates a professional environment by assuring that personal and staff interactions with others in the school, community, and board are conducted with utmost respect and professionalism.Honors the ideas of others even when in disagreement with those ideas. Works collaboratively to resolve disagreements and seek mutually respectful solutions.Actively participates in meetings, workshops and conferences that involve decisions affecting the district and/or the school. Advocates for the school needs by providing input to the decision making process of the district. Respects, supports, and implements decisions once made, and acts to ensure that staff are equally supportive.Participates in school academic, athletic, and co-curricular activities to supervise and advocate for the school. Required to follow board policies; stay abreast of updates/changes.Performs other duties as assigned.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit and talk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and depth perception.
Terms of Employment:
This is a twelve-month position. Salary and benefits as established by the Superintendent of Schools
Performance of this job will be evaluated by the Superintendent of Schools. BHAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Category: Administrator > Principal/Dean/Head of School Equal Opportunity Employer
0 Contact Information
- Kayla Connor
- 1995 Union Avenue
- Benton Harbor, Michigan 49022