SST Office - Los Angeles, CARemote Type
Full TimeEducation Level
4 Year DegreeSalary Range
$26.00 - $29.00 HourlyTravel Percentage
Up to 25%Job Shift
Human ResourcesDescriptionPOSITION: Human Resources Coordinator DIVISION: Charter Management Organization REPORTS TO: Senior Director of Human Resources POSITION TYPE: Full Time, Non-Exempt, Hybrid Remote/On-SiteABOUT BRIGHT STAR SCHOOLS:
Bright Star Schools is a premier charter management organization, operating 9 public schools in Los Angeles. Since 2003, Bright Star Schools has been offering a high-quality public education that incorporates unique and innovative programs, aiming for all of our students to be prepared for college and life. Our mission is to provide holistic, inclusive support for all students to achieve academic excellence and grow their unique talents so that they find joy and fulfillment in higher education, career, and life.MAIN FUNCTION
The Human Resources Coordinator is responsible for performing HR-related duties on a professional level supporting the central management office and nine school sites located in San Fernando Valley, Koreatown and Mid-City Los Angeles. This position carries out responsibilities in the following functional areas: benefits administration, leaves of absence administration, HRIS system administration, employee training, recruitment, employee onboarding/off-boarding, policy implementation, and employment law.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:
- Administers employee benefits for all organization personnel; coordinates changes and modifications to benefit products; coordinates annual benefits open enrollment meetings and procedures; responsible for processing enrollments, changes, and terminations for all benefit plans in a timely and accurate fashion. Assists employees with benefits related inquiries/needs.
- Supports HR team with requests for workplace accommodations; meets with employees to engage in the interactive process.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state and local employment and benefits laws and regulations including ACA, COBRA, FLSA, FMLA, CFRA, PDL, ADA.
- Coordinates employee stipend processes/procedures; prepares stipend forms and collects appropriate approvals/signatures; collaborates with payroll team to ensure timely and accurate processing of stipend requests.
- Assists with semi-monthly payroll preparation. Duties include: reviewing payroll previews, ensuring accuracy of payroll prior to submission, specifically for employee stipends & benefit premiums.
- Administers employee training program; ensures compliance with annual mandatory training for all personnel; coordinates First Aid/CPR training as needed.
- Leads recruitment efforts for non-instructional roles; revises and places job advertisements; screens resumes; conducts phone and in-person interviews; collaborates with hiring managers to ensure a smooth/positive applicant experience.
- Conducts New Hire Orientations for all new personnel; maintains/follows up on new hire clearances (live scan/TB, etc.)
- Maintains the Paycom system (HRIS) up to date with employee personnel files, paid time off/sick/ vacation day accruals, benefits and TB test expiration dates. Follows up with employees to ensure compliance with TB test requirements.
- Conducts/supports with new hire orientations and exit interviews; coordinates on-boarding and off-boarding of employees; responsible for ordering employee ID badges.
- Completes requests for employee driving clearances.
- Coordinates bilingual fluency exams with employees interested in testing.
- Completes requests for employment verification in a timely manner.
- Executes monthly and quarterly audits and compliance reporting for the department; time and attendance reporting, benefits reporting, paid time off reporting.
- Answers frequently asked questions from applicants and employees relative to standard policies, benefits, hiring processes, etc.; refers more complex questions to appropriate senior-level HR staff or management.
- Administers various human resources plans and procedures for all organization personnel; assists in the development and implementation of personnel policies and procedures.
- Maintains compliance with all employee I-9 forms and conducts semi-annual I-9 audits.
- Sorts through incoming HR mail.
- Assists the HR team with all Annual audits.
- Assists the HR team with annual HR presentations/review sessions.
- Assists the HR team with fielding employee complaints and promoting a positive working environment.
- Participates in developing department goals, objectives and systems.
- Participates in staff meetings and attends other meetings/seminars as needed.
- Performs special ad-hoc assignments as assigned by the Human Resources team.
Salary and Benefits
- Bachelor's Degree in business, human resources or relevant field.
- Minimum two years of experience in human resources, recruitment, leaves of absence and/or benefits administration.
- Ability to deal with confidential information on a regular basis such as pay and other personnel-related issues.
- Required to travel between multiple worksites on a frequent basis. Must have reliable transportation and hold a valid Driver's License.
- Ability to work effectively between departments; resolves routine questions alone and complex questions with assistance from supervisors. Work is based on established procedures and protocols.
- Responsible for making some decisions that require consideration of various criteria. Decisions are usually within limits prescribed by established policies or supervisor.
- Experience with HRIS systems (Paycom experience preferred).
- Requires ability to use a variety of business or technical programs (spreadsheets, databases, word processing software) to complete tasks. Requires business writing skills to respond to standard inquiries. Requires excellent interpersonal communication skills and the ability to deal with sensitive employment issues.
- Demonstrates attention to detail, concentration, and follow up.
- Ability to effectively communicate within all levels of the organization.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ethical practice.
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred.
: $26 - $29 per hour, depends on experience and educationStatus
: Full Time, Non-Exempt, Hybrid Remote/On-Site Location
: Los Angeles, CA Benefits
: Health, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, 403b plan + company match, paid time off, holidays