At Rocketship Public Schools, we believe in the infinite possibility of human potential.
We believe that every student deserves the right to dream, to discover, and to develop their unique potential and it is our responsibility and our privilege to unleash the potential inside every Rocketeer we serve. Our non-profit network of public elementary charter schools propels student achievement, develops exceptional educators, and partners with parents who enable high-quality public schools to thrive in their community. We are a collective of parents, teachers, leaders, and students working together to transform the future for underserved communities across our country. At Rocketship Public Schools, we are unleashing potential.Position Description
The Audit Director is a full-time, exempt position and is responsible for overseeing all financial, 403b, and single audits for the organization. Rocketship currently conducts five financial audits across multiple corporate entities. This position plays a key role in ensuring the integrity, accuracy, and compliance of financial and operational processes. This role involves assessing the effectiveness of controls, risk management, and governance processes, ensuring compliance with laws, regulations, and organizational policies. This position will not directly supervise staff but will play an integral role in the accounting team's coaching and development, specifically related to audit processes and policies. The Audit Director will report directly to the Controller.Responsibilities and Core Competencies
- Oversees and coordinates all phases of Rocketship's financial and single audits, reviews, or accounting engagements, and ensures all deliverables comply with both the applicable accounting framework and company policy.
- Manages the 403b audit.
- Creates the annual audit calendar and manages submissions to ensure on time audits are free of deficiencies, materials weaknesses, or other findings.
- Reviews audit work papers prior to submission.
- Guides and directs staff assigned to Rocketship audits and provides applicable training; reviews work papers and reports prepared by the audit team in accordance with company policy.
- Appraises the key Rocketship management of all important developments, identifies any potential issues for each audit, and recommends solutions.
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge and proficiency in the necessary technical skills needed to advise Rocketship.
- Builds and maintains contact with key stakeholders (internal & external) throughout the year; possesses a thorough knowledge of Rocketship, its affiliates and partners and all facets of Rocketship's business and control systems.
- Responsible for ensuring all audit engagements are properly scheduled.
- Plays a pivotal role in coaching and developing members of the accounting team and contributes to staff performance evaluations.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical, statistical, or financial information, policies and/or procedures in a manner easily understood.
- Ability to prepare clear, concise, and professional audit reports.
- The ability to handle sensitive or delicate situations confidentially and in a professional manner.
- An understanding of audit planning and workflow management.
- Performs additional tasks as required by the immediate supervisor.
The salary range for this position is $125,000 - $150,000. Physical Demands:
- Commitment and passion for Rocketship's mission, vision, and goals.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or related field. A master's degree is preferred.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) designation is preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in auditing
- Possess thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles in the United States, United States Generally Accepted Auditing Standards, and the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board standards, and A-133 (Single Audit)
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, capable of working well with diverse groups.
- Advanced in using auditing software and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work independently.
- Ability to creatively translate large amounts of data into useful information and actionable conclusions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to be a team leader and work as an effective member of a team.
- Proven project management and time management skills.
- Ability to prioritize and complete assignments and efficiently and effectively meet deadlines.
- Strong computer skills.
- Proactively seek knowledge, new tasks, and responsibilities.
- Cooperative and responsive to training, supervision, and constructive feedback.
- Ability to direct, review and train departmental staff.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and communicate with both adults and children. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally climb ladders. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to high. Compensation:
Commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus excellent health and wellness benefits, 403b retirement plan, flexible spending account (FSA), and generous paid time off.
Rocketship Public Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Rocketship Public Schools complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Rocketship Public Schools expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Rocketship Public Schools' employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated. Click here for our Sexual Harassment Policy
. For questions, concerns, or complaints, please contact Human Resources.