Position at IDEA Public Schools About IDEA Public Schools
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that all our students graduate from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 50% of our students graduate from college in 6 years - that's 8 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA's co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve nearly 53,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. By 2022, IDEA will serve 100,000 students. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you-with continued growth in our current regions and new launches in Houston (2020), Permian Basin (2020), and Tampa Bay (2021)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this video
. About Houston IDEA Greater Houston Area
was announced in 2017 and we are preparing for a rapid expansion plan. Houston is known for being one of the most diverse cities in America, yet children of color and children living in poverty continue to lack access to the highest quality schools. We are the fourth largest city, with more than 51 independent public-school districts and the home base for two fantastic public charter school operators, Yes Prep and KIPP Texas-Houston.
Houston's reputation is based on economic opportunity and affordable living with a massive sprawl that exceeds the size of New Hampshire. Despite the presence of great public charter schools and a strong district magnet schools' system, the need for more great schools is ever present. IDEA Greater Houston Area will help solve the challenge to offer more children a choice-filled life through a transformational public education.
Fully cognizant of the need across the Greater Houston Area, IDEA Public Schools
will launch with a commitment to open our first four schools in 2020 and follow with an ambitious growth plan to grow to 20 schools by 2025-26 and ultimately serve 15,000 students once fully enrolled. Role Mission:
The Bus Driver Mechanic (CBDM) will provide basic level solutions of repairs and/or diagnose to the campus bus fleet to ensure the availability of units to be in safe operating condition meeting district, state and federal requirements and criteria with the guidance of the District Mechanic. The CBDM will also drive a school bus while ensuring the entire campus fleet is always maintained in a safe operating condition.Responsibilities:Accountabilities/Responsibilities1Make sure bus fleet is in in good working conditions and meeting district, state and federal requirements
- Ensure campuses fleet are in operational condition before using it to transport students
- Campus Mechanics will seek advice from District Mechanic for any minor repairs on school buses
• Maintain accurate records of operation work orders2Maintain fleet in safe operating condition while having a 7% savings on maintenance cost over previous year
3Must be able to lead team and hold them accountable of their work performance
- Operate within the budget parameters set by the Campus Transportation Manager
- Work together with Transportation Manager and District Mechanic to have an accurate inventory of all parts at the campuses level
- Maintain a continuous education and upgrades in diesel engines provided by your District Mechanic
4Must manage multiple tasks by prioritize work
- Have an open communication channel with Transportation Manager of campuses they are assisting
- Able to communicate positively with coworkers and be able to accept positive and negative feedback from District Mechanic and Transportation Manager regarding properly handling school buses
• Adapting to changing environments while performing various tasks and by prioritizing work
• Overseeing various tasks simultaneously within established time constraints5Safely transports students
• Drives a school bus safely in accordance with scheduled times
• Maintains proper discipline of students
• Established safety and operational inspection of assigned vehicle daily•
Oversees the loading and unloading of students, releasing students to authorized individual; assures that safety belts are fastened in passenger vans6Live values of IDEA
- Believes and is committed to our mission: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Is driven by outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
• Embodies IDEA's core valuesCompetencies (if applicable):
- Communication - effectively conveys information using a variety of channels and techniques
- Organization - keeps self and others organized through development of efficient systems
- Problem Solving - able to synthesize, analyze, and prioritize data and opportunities to develop strategies for achieving quantifiable goals
- Continuous Improvement - proactively identifies opportunities to improve and consistently reflects on past actions to guide future decisions
Compensation for this role typically falls between$19.53 and $24.42.
- Education: High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Experience: Minimum 1 years' experience as Diesel Mechanic (preferred)
- Licenses or Certifications (if applicable): Valid Class A or B Driver's License with "P" and "S" endorsements, DOT Physical Examination, & State Region Certification
- Knowledge and Skills: One (1) year of experience within the diesel or automotive industry
- Must be able to execute the following mechanic skills and duties:
- PM inspections
- Change lights
- Basic electrical diagnostics, Power/ Ground 2 wire circuits
- Knowledge of Proper fluid levels
- Oil changes without supervision
- Belts/ hoses
- Battery replacement
- Replace Synovia parts
- Computer literate (Service Finder, email, excel)
- Minor repairs, Alternators, coolant reservoirs, Brakes
- Window tint (can be trained on the job)
- Seat repairs (patch work, cover and foam replacement)
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.