ANNOUNCEMENT OF VACANCY FOR THE
2020-2021 SCHOOL YEAR
FT Special Education Lead Teacher
Somerville Community Schools Afterschool Program
MICHAEL E. CAPUANO EARLY EDUCATION CENTER
General Description: Somerville Community Schools Program provides after school and out of school time care in Somerville Public Schools. We operate after school programs from dismissal until 5:30 including early release days; full day programs during school vacation weeks and the summer. It is our mission to provide high quality, affordable after school care to Somerville children in kindergarten through grade 5. SCSP provides students the opportunity to develop and grow in a comfortable, safe and enriching environment.
• Have a minimum of a Bachelors Degree in Child Development, Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, Child Guidance, Human Services, Nursing, Psychology, Physical Education, Recreation, Child Psychology, the Arts, Social Work, Sociology, or Child Care; and have six months of experience working with school-age children with disabilities; or
• Have an Associate's and least one year of experience working with school-age children with moderate to severe disabilities or
• Have credits towards an Associate's and relevant experience working with a diverse population of student needs in a school or daycare setting and familiar with inclusive techniques
• Experience in planning and adapting enriching activities for children to meet the needs of all students
• Ability to set clear limits and supervise groups of children in an organized and calm manner
• Sensitivity to and/or experience working with children and adults from diverse cultural and economic backgrounds
• Ability to communicate effectively with CS administrators, school faculty, community agencies, and parents/guardians regarding student progress
• DESE licensure in Special Education preferred but not required
• Work with students who have a wide range of learning, mental, emotional, and physical disabilities.
• Adapt club lessons and teach various subjects to students with mild and moderate disabilities.
• Lead small and large group activities in accordance to the needs of all students
• Supervise and interact with children
• Discipline children in accordance with SCAP policy and create and maintain behavior plans as necessary
• Maintain classroom environment including set up and maintenance of supplies
• Follow program health and safety procedures
• Ability to cooperatively team teach
• Maintain a safe afterschool environment by meeting the needs of all students and communicating incidents and accidents to guardians/parents
• Other duties as assigned
Programming and Planning:
• Research, plan, adapt and implement daily curriculum, to promote social, emotional, physical and cognitive development in accordance to Somerville Public School curriculum
• Purchase materials and supplies in accordance with SCAP procedures
• Serve and record nutritious snacks daily
• Submit daily lesson plans in timely manner
• Welcome and support substitutes and or new staff under the supervision of site coordinator
• Attend weekly team meetings with coordinator
• Attend monthly meetings and a least 10 hrs of in-service workshops scheduled monthly by CS administrators and other recommended trainings required in educational setting
• Participate in site events such as family nights or open houses
Terms of Employment:
• Full Year Schedule (July-June)
• $20.65-$21.78 per hour, based on degree and or credits
• Hours vary; 22-27 hours per week
• Community Schools Administrator
Applications are only accepted online through School Spring.
Please do not mail or email resumes. Only resumes that are submitted through School Spring will be considered.
Should you need assistance with the online application process, please contact the Human Resources Office via email at [email protected]
Somerville Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Somerville Public Schools actively seeks applicants with diverse backgrounds. Grade level and content licensure is required when applicable. Dual licensure including SPED, ESL, ELL, or bilingual licensure and/or proficiency in a language or languages other than English is preferred.
- Position Type: After school/Evening
- Positions Available: 1
Job Categories: Special Education > Autism
Special Education > Behavior Specialist / EBD
Special Education > Emotionally Disabled
Special Education > Mentally Disabled
Special Education > Mild/Moderate Disabilities
Special Education > Multiple Disabilities
Instructional Support > Individual Aide Employer Description
Education - Inspiration - Excellence are the themes that characterize the instructional services, departments and programs of the Somerville Public Schools.
Our Mission: The Somerville Public Schools is dedicated to the realization of the full intellectual, physical, social, and emotional potential of all students. Our talented team of teachers and other professionals provides every student with the knowledge, skills and attitudes needed to be successful throughout their lives. This is accomplished through the delivery of innovative instruction guided by the Massachusetts Curriculum and Somerville Curriculum Frameworks, and supported through partnerships with organizations such as Primary Source, and the Center for Engineering Education and Outreach at Tufts University. Learn more about us... Location Description
The Michael E. Capuano Early Childhood Center is a unique public early-childhood facility dedicated to enriching the lives of the children and families it serves.
The Capuano Center's educational philosophy calls the staff to provide students with extensive, varied and developmentally appropriate learning opportunities that will help them grow intellectually, physically, socially and emotionally. Learn more about us... Equal Opportunity Employer
Somerville Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Job Requirements
- Citizenship, residency or work VISA in United States required
There are no application questions required for this job posting.Contact Information
- Adriana Guereque-Khan
- 167 Holland Street
- Somerville, Massachusetts 02144