Assists teachers by working with Exceptional Children (EC) to achieve the goals of the student(s)' Individual Education Program(s) (IEPs) and provide access to general education as appropriate. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Assists in the instruction of individual EC students or groups of EC students in all curricular areas as directed by the teacher.
- Collects data to document individual student progress on IEP goals.
- Plans and works with the teacher in devising instructional strategies.
- Operates and cares for equipment and materials for both classroom and individual students.
- Assists and supervises during emergency drills, assemblies, play periods, field trips and to other designated places.
- Acts as a bus monitor when special needs of an EC student(s) are identified by the IEP team.
- Alerts the teacher to any problem or special information about an individual student.
- Participates in in-service training programs for professional growth.
- Assists in checking materials and portfolios, correcting papers, supervising, and testing as directed by the teacher.
- Assists in keeping bulletin boards and other learning centers current.
- Assists in school routines and transitions.
- Assists with student attendance procedures, record keeping, collecting money, ordering materials and other duties as assigned.
- Provides physical assistance to students as needed in the areas of self-help, clothing, toileting (including accidents and catheterization).
- Provides physical assistance to therapists and teachers as needed in duties related to occupational and physical therapy and mainstreaming classes.
- Provides physical assistance as needed to students by writing assignments under the direction of the teacher.
- Provides physical assistance as needed to students by lifting, positioning and by pushing wheelchairs.
Job Category: Special Education > Special Education Assistant Equal Opportunity Employer
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- CMS Staff
- 600 E. Fourth Street
- Fifth Floor
- Charlotte, North Carolina 28202