Head Football Coach - Middle SchoolReports To:
This posting is open until filledJOB SUMMARY
To help each participating student achieve a high level of skill, an appreciation for the values of discipline and sportsmanship, and an increased level of self-esteem. Students shall receive instruction that will lead to the formulation of moral values, pride of accomplishment, acceptable social behavior, self discipline and self confidence.ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties of this position include the following. Employees in this position perform some or all of the following tasks. Other duties may be assigned.
Acts as positive role model and leader for young student athletesTeaches and drills fundamental skills and up-to-date safe techniques of tacklingInstills good sportsmanship and team unityOrganizes practices in preparation for gamesEnsures that proper storage, maintenance and inventory of all athletic equipment and uniforms is adhered to. Issues and fits gear to studentsMaintains a cooperative relationship with fellow staff members, students and parentsAdheres to and enforces district, state and federal laws, policies, procedures and regulations.Coaches individual participants in the skills necessary for excellent achievement in the sport involvedPlans and schedules a regular program of practice in seasonOversees the safety conditions of the facility or area in which assigned sport is conducted at all times that students are present.Maintains accurate statistics, records and results of the seasonEnforces discipline and sportsmanlike behavior at all times, and establishes and oversees penalties for breach of such standards by individual students.Maintains competency in rules, rule interpretations, meet procedures, coaching techniques, and general information about all aspects of the sport.Establishes performance criteria for eligibility in interscholastic competition in this sport and is consistent in establishing criteria for eligibility in competition.Adheres to a highly efficient and technically sound program of injury prevention and follow up.Works closely with the athletic director in scheduling intramural and interscholastic contestsRecommends purchase of equipment, supplies and uniformsMaintains necessary attendance forms, insurance records and similar paperworkAccounts for all equipment or delegates the responsibilityDevelops a consistent and positive public communications procedure through the school and media to inform the parents and the general public about the athletic program MARGINAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Marginal duties of this position include the following. Employees in this position perform some or all of the following tasks. Other duties may be assigned.
Attend trainings and staff meetings, as neededSanitizes and cleans equipmentInspects facilities and athletic fields for health and safety concernsChaperones/supervises athletic events, as needed SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES
All school employees have some responsibility for supervising students and assisting in maintaining a safe environment. Overseeing Assistant Football coach and any volunteer coaches.QUALIFICATIONS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience: High school diploma or General Education Diploma (GED) and/or at least six months related experience. Prior successful experience working in a school setting or coaching student athletes strongly preferred. Experience participating in student athletics desirable
- Interpersonal Skills: Works well with others from diverse backgrounds. Focuses on solving conflict; maintaining confidentiality; listening to others without interrupting; keeping emotions under control; remaining open to others' ideas and contributing to building a positive team spirit. Demonstrated ability to successfully coach, lead and/or motivate adolescent students.
- Language Skills: Ability to communicate fluently verbally and in writing in English. Ability to effectively present information and respond effectively to questions in one-on-one, small group situations to students and other school staff. Ability to verbally respond to common inquiries from students. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating instructions, procedure manuals and regulations. Ability to write general reports and correspondence.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of instructions in varying forms. Ability to problem solve and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Computer Skills: General knowledge of computer usage and ability to use, e-mail, internet software and word processing software. Ability to type accurately and proficiently.
- Other Skills and Abilities: Demonstrated knowledge of child growth and development at each level of instruction and of the social, emotional, physical and cognitive development of adolescent students. Demonstrated ability to participate in physically demanding athletic activities. Possesses knowledge of effective behavior management methods. Ability to exercise good judgment and work in a dynamic environment.
- Certificates, Licenses, Registration: Certificates as determined by the District and OSAA; valid Oregon Diver License; Trainings may include but are not limited to:
NFHS Coaching Fundamentals (One time requirement)
2. Heads-Up Football Certification (Yearly) (Football Only)
3. Concussion Training (Yearly)
4. Heat Illness (Yearly for Football Coaches) (Every 4 Years for all other Coaches)
5. Anabolic Steroids (Every 4 Years)
6. Sudden Cardiac Arrest (Yearly)
7. Blocking, Tackling, and Fitting Equipment (Yearly)
8. Ability to obtain a valid CPR/First Aid Card
9. Regular district safety trainings.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk; run; jump; stretch; stand; sit; use hands for fine manipulation, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms using a keyboard and video display terminal. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally up to 100 pounds. The employee may occasionally climb stairs or ladders. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, ability to adjust focus and peripheral vision. The employee must have the ability to teach proper techniques and skills needed for athletic participation.Work Environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment is a standard football field and other athletic practice and event settings. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but occasionally high depending upon student population and activities. The employee is regularly exposed to wet or humid outdoor weather conditions. The employee may be exposed to bodily fluids and/or bloodborne pathogens.
To apply visit our website at https://colton.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx
and apply on-line. Questions should be directed to [email protected]
- Human Resource Department - 503-824-3535.Equal employment opportunity and treatment shall be practiced by Colton School District regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability or genetic information, if the employee, with or without reasonable accommodation, is able to perform the essential functions of the position.
Job Category: Athletics & Activities > Coaching Contact Information
- Sarah McGloghlon
- 30429 S GRAYS HILL RD
- Colton, Oregon 97017