Middle School/High School AVID Tutor
Oregon Charter Academy
Part-time 4-8 hours/week
Oregon Charter Academy (ORCA) is a virtual public school serving students in grades K-12 throughout the state. Teachers at ORCA are student-focused, adapting to meet students' educational needs through personalized learning using our high-quality curriculum and the teaching of 21st Century skills. ORCA is authorized by the Santiam Canyon School District and is governed by its own independent charter school board. The school has been in operation since 2005 and is accredited through Cognia, formerly AdvancED.
Introduction to AVID Tutorials
• AVID Tutors are key to the success of the AVID program. Tutors are trained to use specific teaching methodologies and materials to work with AVID students. Tutors work with AVID students in study groups and individually, assisting them in all academic areas to make progress commensurate with college expectations.
• AVID tutorials take place in small groups that are subject area specific. AVID tutors assist the students achieve their full potential by facilitating collaborative tutorial groups. Tutors use Socratic questioning and collaborative learning techniques to help the students come up with the answers to their questions on their own and by working with fellow students.
• AVID tutors should be excellent role models of motivated, organized, successful college students who believe that the AVID students will succeed, too. The tutors should be people who will work in a supportive manner with secondary students and will be able to understand the delicate position they will occupy; they are advocates of students, yet ultimately they are responsible to the teacher.
As a tutor, your regular duties may entail any of the following:
• Conduct virtual tutorial sessions that underscore the principle of collaborative learning and the practice of students teaching other students through discussion of class and text notes.
• Determine from student tutorial worksheets, notes, and discussions the concepts that need to be the focus of tutorial sessions.
• Allow students to shoulder the responsibility for their own active learning while guiding them with strategies that they will become accustomed to using independently.
• Assist students in any subject area, by being familiar with students' textbooks and materials and AVID classroom resources.
• Provide constructive feedback online on student work.
• Support AVID scholars through care and connection checks in the virtual environment
• Take responsibility for the tone and atmosphere of the AVID classroom.
• Assist the AVID coordinator as requested, such as contacting teachers regarding course outlines and assignment schedules, helping with field trips, contacting parents, etc.
• Communicate regularly with the AVID coordinator/teacher regarding student progress and areas of concern.
• Set an example of personal excellence and high expectations for AVID students to follow
Predominantly work from home.
4-8 hours each week supporting students in small group setting.
Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
High degree of flexibility.
Demonstrated ability to work well in a fast paced environment.
Ability to work remotely.
How to Apply: Apply by clicking here
Oregon Charter Academy is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity and seeks employees who reflect and support our mission-driven commitment to a diverse school community. For more information please visit www.oregoncharter.org.
- Position Type: Part-time
- Positions Available: 12
- Salary: $18 Per Hour
Job Category: Instructional Support > Tutor Equal Opportunity Employer
0 Job Requirements
- Citizenship, residency or work VISA in United States required
- Lori Walter, HR Director
- 833 NW Santiam Blvd
- Home-based, Oregon 97360