The job of Head Custodian is done for the purpose/s of providing custodial services at assigned site; ensuring an attractive, sanitary, and safe environment for students, staff and visitors; performing a variety of special cleaning operations; overseeing the preparation of facilities for classroom activities and campus events; overseeing and supporting assigned custodians in the performance of their assignments; and ensuring that assignments are completed in a safe, proper, and timely manner.Direct Supervisor
Custodial SupervisorEssential Functions
• Cleans assigned facilities and/or grounds (classrooms, offices, gym, restrooms, multipurpose rooms, pools, grounds, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining a sanitary, safe, and attractive environment.
• Conducts a variety of training and drills with staff (health and safety, cleaning and repair, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring that emergency procedures are in order, alarm systems are operational, and/or established procedures are effective.
• Consults with administrative personnel and staff under supervision (physical plant assignments, use of equipment, general building site maintenance, etc.) for the purpose of planning, prioritizing, and scheduling custodial activities while achieving site maintenance objectives.
• Delivers a variety of items (cleaning supplies, equipment, tools, etc.) for the purpose of distributing materials to the appropriate parties within site.
• Distributes custodial supplies and equipment (solvents, paper supplies, etc.) for the purpose of disseminating materials to custodial staff and/or storage locations.
• Informs students, administration, and other site personnel (safety issues, equipment repair, trash pickup, vandalism issues, etc.) for the purpose of providing information and direction regarding activities, safety issues, and/or proper maintenance of facilities and/or equipment.
• Inspects facilities (periphery of building, hallways, classrooms, cafeteria, restrooms, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring that the site is suitable for safe operations, maintaining an attractive and clean condition, and identifying necessary repairs to facilities and/or equipment, etc.
• Maintains supplies and equipment (cleaning solutions, paper products, vacuums, mops, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the availability of custodial items required to properly maintain facilities.
• Oversees facility maintenance activities and assigned custodial personnel (supervision of staff cleaning assignments, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring functions are performed efficiently in compliance with site requirements and established standards.
• Participates in meetings, workshops, trainings, and seminars (preparation for special activities, training for new equipment, etc.) for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform job functions.
• Performs minor, job related, maintenance on custodial equipment, classroom furniture, and fixtures (change vacuum cleaner belts, bags, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring proper functioning and usability of items.
• Prepares written materials (supply requisitions, safety inspections, work orders, inventory records, time sheets, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities and/or relating activities to administration for action.
• Replenishes classroom and rest room supplies (paper towels, soap, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring adequate quantities for daily use.
• Requisitions equipment, supplies, and materials (repair for equipment, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining availability of required items and completing jobs efficiently.
• Responds to immediate safety and/or operational concerns (facility damage, vandalism, alarms, etc.) for the purpose of taking appropriate action or notifying appropriate personnel for resolution.
• Responds to inquiries from staff, students, employees, and/or visitors (special needs in cafeteria, school functions, etc.) for the purpose of providing information, taking appropriate action, and/or directing to appropriate personnel for resolution.
• Secures facilities and grounds (doors, gates, alarms, lights, etc.) for the purpose of minimizing property damage, equipment loss, and/or potential liability.
• Supports other site maintenance staff (grounds, staff schedules, etc.) for the purpose of completing site custodial activities.
• Trains assigned personnel (floor stripping, equipment use, trash pick-up, cleaning supplies, etc.) for the purpose of developing professional trade and safety awareness skills.
• Transports a variety of work-related items (tools, equipment, and supplies, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the availability of materials required at job site. Marginal Functions
• Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.Competencies
• Skills-based Competencies Required to perform multiple tasks with a need to occasionally upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: operating equipment and materials used in industrial maintenance; adhering to safety practices; preparing and maintaining accurate records; and operating standard office equipment and office technology.
• Knowledge-based Competencies Required to perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percentages, and/or ratios; read a variety of manuals, write documents following prescribed formats, and/or present information to others; and understand complex, multi-step written and oral instructions. Specific knowledge based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: methods of industrial cleaning including floor and carpet; basic tools for minor repairs; safety practices and procedures; green cleaning procedures; and tact and courtesy.
• Ability-based Competencies Required to schedule activities, meetings, and/or events; gather and/or collate data; and consider a number of factors when using equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others in a wide variety of circumstances; work with data utilizing specific, defined processes; and operate equipment using standardized methods. Ability is also required to work with a diversity of individuals and/or groups; work with data of varied types and/or purposes; and utilize a variety of types of job-related equipment. Problem solving is required to identify issues and create action plans. Problem solving with data may require independent interpretation; and problem solving with equipment is moderate to significant. Specific ability based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: adapting to changing work priorities; meeting deadlines and schedules; and physical fitness for duty: ability to lift weight appropriate for the job.Requirements
High school diploma or GED equivalent preferred
Valid Georgia driver's licensePhysical Requirements
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following require the following physical demands: significant lifting (up to 50 pounds), carrying, pushing, and/or pulling, frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling and significant fine finger dexterity.
Generally the job requires 5% sitting, 50% walking, and 45% standing. Continuing Education/Training
Valid Georgia driver's license
Cleaning procedures/hazardous material handling techniques training
Safety training or certification
Asbestos training or certificationClearances
Criminal Justice Fingerprint
Background ClearanceFair Labor Standards Act
Non-ExemptEqual Opportunity Employer
Clarke County School District is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Roshanna Griffin
- Athens, Georgia 30603