MUSCATINE COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT
JOB REQUIREMENTS ANALYSISPOSITION TITLE:
Food Service Worker I (Production/Satellite) EMPLOYEE UNIT:
Food and NutritionREPORTS TO:
Food Service Supervisor/Manager/FNW IIISTATUS:
9-month positionNormal Work Day:
Shifts and days vary by building and by positionOBJECTIVE:
Organizes own work under the direction of their supervisor in accordance with policies and procedures established by the Food Service Department.MAJOR DUTIES:
The Food Service Worker I is an entry level position. Responsibilities may vary depending on the building but are illustrative of the variety and types of duties that a person in this position may be required to perform. All persons handling food must practice all standards for sanitation and safety in the day-to-day operation of the department.
- Assists in setting up service areas, portioning and/or serving food items.
- Assists in cleaning and storing of eating utensils, washing tables, dishes, trays, pans, and other kitchen equipment and the cleaning of floors.
- Assists in preparing foods, such as cleaning and preparing fruits and vegetables, buttering bread, making sandwiches etc.
- Uses various pieces of kitchen equipment such as dish-washing machines, where available, ovens and other cooking equipment.
- Assists in control of food and supply costs with proper handling, rotation and storage techniques.
- Communicates and works with fellow employees as well as maintains good public relations with students, parents, faculty and the community.
- At High School, may take cash and process SNAP transactions and may process daily cash reconciliation reports.
- Maintains standards of sanitation and safety while working with dishwashers including filling, operating unloading and putting away silverware, pots, pans and trays.
- May perform garbage detail procedures including area around dumpster after each and every serving period according to established building practices.
- May wash laundry, defrost refrigerators, perform "deliming" of the dishwasher and steam tables.
- At High School, may clean and or operate the Ice Cream machine or the shaved ice machine or other product machines.
- Other duties of a similar nature to be assigned as needed.
Location varies by position but a Food Service Worker may be required to assist in all District buildings as needed.Knowledge, skills and abilities required to carry out the job satisfactorily.
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral
- This position requires that the employee be extremely customer service oriented and organized
- Must genuinely like working with and around children, grades PreK-12
- Working knowledge of computers is preferred
- Must know the basics of USDA Food Service Requirements
- Competency in the SNAP Computer Food Service System
- Must maintain working knowledge of the kitchen and daily work schedule
- Comfortable operating an oven, stovetop, can opener, microwaves, garbage disposal, dishwasher
- Must following safety and sanitation procedures including wearing uniform, hairnet, and sturdy non-ski shoes
- Must be very safety conscious
All Food and Nutrition workers are required to complete a Food Service Sanitation course after ninety (90) days of employment. It is required that each worker assigned to a production or bulk satellite kitchen complete the applied food service sanitation, fundamentals of child nutrition and principles of food preparation courses.PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers to handle and/or feel objects, tools or controls; talk and hear. The employee frequently must squat, stoop or kneel, reach above the head and forward 0 to 24 inches and on occasion up to 36 inches. The employee continuously uses hand strength to grasp items. The employee will frequently bend or twist at the neck and trunk more than the average person while performing the duties of this job. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds 0 to 12 feet and occasionally up to 20 feet, such as tables, desks, chairs, and boxes. The employee will sometimes push/pull items such as tables and carts. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and the ability to adjust focus while supervising students and working with computers, written materials, reports, data, etc.WORKING ENVIRONMENT
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. The position requires the commitment of professional working hours that may require the employee to extend beyond a typical 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. workday. The employee will frequently work in different areas of the building including in/at desks, on or near the floor, standing, in movement, etc. The employee will usually work in indoor temperatures but will need to occasionally access a freezer and cooler.American Disability Act Statement:
The worker must be physically able to work in a standing position for prolonged periods and to walk much of the time during the day; able to work in warm surroundings; has manual dexterity to handle knives and other pieces of kitchen equipment and is able to lift materials weighing between 40 and 50 lbs. The employee will ask for assistance when necessary. This job frequently requires bending, stooping, twisting and lifting.
The information contained in this job description is in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
It is the policy of the Muscatine Community School District not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, creed, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and socioeconomic status in its employment practices. For assistance or consultation, contact the Director of Human Resources. The Muscatine Community School District is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer.The statements contained herein describe the scope of the responsibilities, essential functions, physical requirements, and working conditions of the Food Service Worker I position, but should not be considered to be an all-inclusive list. An employee serving in the Food Service Worker I position may perform other duties as assigned. Nothing in this job description restricts the District's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to the Food Service Worker I position at any time.TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
: Bondable and other general conditions.EVALUATION:
Food Service Manager shall evaluate at least annually.
Job Category: Support Staff > Food Service Equal Opportunity Employer
0 Contact Information
- Jill Bourquin
- 2900 Mulberry Avenue
- Muscatine, Iowa 52761